Trump formed a PAC to fight the 'stolen' election. An expert says the president is using it to 'fleece his supporters'

Trump formed a PAC to fight the 'stolen' election. An expert says the president is using it to 'fleece his supporters'
Roger Sollenberger
Judges are tossing out Trump's desperate attempts to sue his way to victory one by one

President Donald Trump is now raising money to fund his baseless legal battle as he claims the presidential election was "stolen" by Democrats. Up until Tuesday, the Trump campaign claimed all of the funds raised were going to be designated for paying off the campaign's debts.

Trump supporters received emails aggressively urging them to donate to the president's legal fund so he has the "resources" needed to fight the election results. "THE DEMOCRATS WANT TO STEAL THIS ELECTION!" the Trump campaign said in its email. "We can't allow the Left-wing MOB to undermine our election."

On Tuesday morning, a very small disclaimer has been added to those emails and it raises a lot of questions about how those funds will be used going forward.

According to Talking Points Memo, the disclaimer "lays out that 60 percent of the contributions will first go to the new PAC, up to the maximum contribution of $5,000. The remaining 40 percent goes to the RNC up to the maximum $35,500. If that first 60 percent of the donation exceeds $5,000 the remnants go to the campaign's 'recount account'; if the 40 percent exceeds the $35,500 RNC maximum, only then does it go to the RNC's legal defense fund."

So, where is the money going? Trump has a newly formed political action committee (PAC) known as "Save America," according to its recent filings with the Federal Election Commission. But the PAC is not for the purpose Trump is portraying.

"Donors who are giving in response to this urgent fundraising message to help defend the integrity of our election are actually helping fund Trump's post-presidential political vehicle," Brendan Fischer, director of federal reform at the Campaign Legal Center, told TPM.

Paul S. Ryan, vice president of policy and litigation at Common Cause, weighed in on Trump's funneling of funds and what he believes Trump's plan is going forward. He also condemned PACs as he noted that they are "'notorious' for being abused as slush funds."

"Not a penny is dedicated to a legal expense account unless donors have maxed out their contributions to the first two committees, $5,000 to the leadership PAC and $35,500 to the RNC," Ryan said. "He's saying that he needs donors' money for election-challenge litigation, but he's putting the money into an account to be used for his political future."

He added, "This is a way that he can fleece his supporters to support his own lifestyle for the next few years regardless of whether he even runs in 2024."

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. AlterNet’s journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. We’re here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And we’re proud to say that we’ve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 years—longer than any other progressive news site on the Internet.

It’s through the generosity of our supporters that we’re able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone can’t pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

Close
alternet logo

Tough Times

Demand honest news. Help support AlterNet and our mission to keep you informed during this crisis.