Supreme Court declines to take action on Trump’s Pennsylvania appeal prior to certification of Biden win
The Supreme Court of the United States on Monday took no action to overturn a lower court decision that allowed the counting of late-arriving mail-in ballots in Pennsylvania.
President Donald Trump's campaign had sought to exclude mail-in ballots that arrived after election day.
In 4-4 decision in October, the high court upheld the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's ruling that said ballots postmarked by election day can arrive up to three days after the election.
The court later handed the Trump campaign a victory with an order saying that late-arriving ballots must be segregated before being counted.
The Trump campaign had hoped that the Supreme Court would hear the case prior to Pennsylvania's certification of the 2020 election.
But on Monday, the court's regular order list for its November 20 conference did not include any action on the case.
The court could take action at its December 4 conference, which is after Pennsylvania's November 23 deadline for counties to certify the election.
No new grants from SCOTUS this AM, including no action on the PA absentee ballot case (which won't affect the outco… https://t.co/y5zg30GkRd— Matt Ford (@Matt Ford)1606141971.0
#SCOTUS releases regular Order List from November 20 Conference; no new grants; no action on Pennsylvania late-arri… https://t.co/TxSH8rYWDa— Steve Vladeck (@Steve Vladeck)1606141935.0
- Trump Supreme Court advisor Leonard Leo tied to more than $80 ... ›
- Trump's Supreme Court pick has a serious problem with the ... ›
- Here are 5 grim truths about Trump's nightmare Supreme Court ... ›
- How Giuliani's tactics derailed Trump's dreams of the Supreme Court saving him - Alternet.org ›
- Why Trump’s lawsuit against Pennsylvania election was horribly flawed — and even deserves ‘sanctions’: conservative attorney - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Deadly dame’: Legal experts blast Supreme Court’s dead-of-night decision enshrining ‘religious rights’ over all others - Alternet.org ›
- 'No merit’: Trump-appointed judge rejects campaign’s PA lawsuit — and makes the president foot state’s bill - Alternet.org ›
- Legal experts mock Trump for getting a 'disgraced white supremacist' to file a 'crazy’ Supreme Court case - Alternet.org ›
- Trump is practically begging for the Supreme Court to slap him down - Alternet.org ›
- SCOTUS faces bomb threat amid Biden inauguration - Alternet.org ›
- This is still Donald Trump's America — and the signs of decline on everywhere - Alternet.org ›
- Legal writer explains a brilliant strategy for Democrats to protect their agenda from the Supreme Court - Alternet.org ›
- Donald Trump wanted two favors from Supreme Court he helped build - Alternet.org ›
- Iowa police discover live bomb inside polling place during school district election - Alternet.org ›
- Justice Kagan issues a warning and a stinging rebuke to Kavanaugh's new decision: 'An insupportable ruling' - Alternet.org ›
- Biden openly mocks Republicans 'bragging' about the COVID-19 relief funds they voted against - Alternet.org ›
- Scathing Pennsylvania paper editorial slams far-right Republicans for pushing 'disgraceful' election 'audit' - Alternet.org ›
- New analysis reveals the secrets of Biden's 2020 win - Alternet.org ›
- The Trumpist Supreme Court just took off its mask - Alternet.org ›
- Biden blasts SCOTUS for 'unprecedented assault' on women’s rights - Alternet.org ›