Is a conservative coffee company supporting 'Kenosha killer' Kyle Rittenhouse?
Lin Wood, the lawyer of Kyle Rittenhouse – the man who shot two protestors to death on August 25 during a racial justice uprising in Kenosha, Wisconsin — posted a tweet announcing Rittenhouse's recent release on bail. The tweet includes an image of Rittenhouse wearing a shirt advertising Black Rifle Coffee, a conservative coffee company that has advertised on right-wing podcasts.
While a spokesperson for Black Rifle Coffee told The New Civil Rights Movement that it does not sponsor legal advocacy efforts and does not have a relationship with Kyle Rittenhouse, the question raised several important issues to do with those supporting the shooter.
The image led Sleeping Giants, a watchdog group that alerts advertisers of their connections to far-right rhetoric, to question whether the company supports the young murderer. In their tweet, Sleeping Giants showed an image recently posted by right-wing podcaster Elijah Schafer touting the coffee company, which also advertises on his podcast.
.@blckriflecoffee do you sponsor Kyle Rittenhouse? https://t.co/BANNyEUiiY— Sleeping Giants (@Sleeping Giants) 1605945366
The question is particularly salient considering that Rittenhouse recently had his $2 million bail paid in part by Mike Lindell, the conservative CEO of the American company MyPillow, a regular Fox News advertiser, and right-leaning actor Ricky Schroeder.
Rittenhouse has been charged with first-degree intentional homicide, first-degree reckless homicide, attempted first-degree intentional homicide and other charges for the murders of Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, and Anthony Huber, 26, on August 25.
- What the Kenosha shooter tells us about Donald Trump's America ... ›
- Trump Jr. makes absurd excuse for killer Kyle Rittenhouse: 'We all ... ›
- Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse's Mom receives standing ovation ... ›
- Trump's lasting legacy is the right's open embrace of terrorism - Alternet.org ›
- Watch right winger give out 'Kraken' offer code for MyPillow during ‘StopTheSteal’ rally in DC - Alternet.org ›
- Kenosha prosecutors fight to modify Rittenhouse's bond agreement after photos surface of him with Proud Boys - Alternet.org ›
- Data leak exposes cops' donations to Kyle Rittenhouse following Kenosha shooting - Alternet.org ›
- Inside the right-wing civil war over coffee - Alternet.org ›
- Wisconsin judge faces ‘nationwide scrutiny’ as Kyle Rittenhouse’s trial winds down: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Close to questioning evolution': Rittenhouse judge blasted for claim enlarged videos are 'so-called scientific evidence' - Alternet.org ›
- The right is using the Wisconsin parade tragedy to attack bail reform — but they need a fact-check - Alternet.org ›
- Kyle Rittenhouse requests the return of the weapon he used to shoot 3 protesters so it can be 'properly destroyed' - Alternet.org ›