Anti-mask Arkansas senator who called coronavirus a ‘hoax’ gets COVID-19
Jason Rapert, an anti-gay Republican Arkansas state senator who has called face mask mandates “draconian” and shared articles calling COVID-19 a hoax, has tested positive for COVID-19 after speaking at a church service and other recent events without a face mask.
For the last three months, Rapert has been sharing articles on his social media about how “liberal quacks” are “spreading fear” about coronavirus, about how COVID-19 is the “biggest political hoax in history” and about how the recent face mask mandate ordered by Republican Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson is “draconian” and an “overreach of executive power.”
Though Rapert has occasionally mentioned the importance of using masks, he’s now in the hospital being treated for coronavirus and pneumonia.
“We have all been doing our best to wear a mask, social distance and be careful like everyone else,” Rapert wrote in a statement on Thursday. “This virus is serious and can attack anyone regardless of age or general health…”
Rapert also has a reputation for being a Christianist who introduced a bill seeking to ban gay marriage nationwide in 2017, two years after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriages nationwide. He also wanted to defund PBS in February 2020 because gay actor Billy Porter appeared on Sesame Street.
On Wednesday and Thursday of this week, Arkansas had its second and third highest-ever daily tolls of newly confirmed coronavirus cases, at 1,013 and 990 new cases, respectively.
Here are some Twitter reactions to his contracting COVID-19.
Jason Rapert preaching about not being a “slave to fear” during a maskless service in arkansas weeks ago. Today he’… https://t.co/gguc9hi1ID— David Hill (@David Hill) 1595525935
Breaking: Sen. Jason Rapert finally learns life lesson of “I didn’t care until it impacted me personally” https://t.co/iLthEJSIhS— Matthew Law (@Matthew Law) 1595526349
@jasonrapert Thoughts and prayers, good Senator, thoughts and prayers! It's going to really suck when they jam tha… https://t.co/nGjxXlYmRV— HolaChola (@HolaChola) 1595626003
@jasonrapert #thoughtsandprayers Remember when this fella went sideways because he thinks Sesame Street is evil? Ye… https://t.co/1x87tr2ZKW— FranklyDarling (@FranklyDarling) 1595623295
@jasonrapert Weird how you're hospitalized from something imaginary 😂. Isn't science and modern medicine just part… https://t.co/2zzN3t8TGo— ❌ King Zhigaag ✖️ (@❌ King Zhigaag ✖️) 1595645652
- This data-driven model shows how wearing masks saves lives - Alternet.org ›
- COVID doesn't care about 'individual freedom' — so Republicans are turning to mask mandates - Alternet.org ›
- Retail workers have a different reason to dread the Black Friday rush this year - Alternet.org ›
- Republican state senator reportedly banned from an airline for fighting mask policy - Alternet.org ›
- A complex new phase of the pandemic has arrived. Here's what experts say will happen next - Alternet.org ›
- Documents show Trump officials skirted rules to reward politically connected firms with huge pandemic contracts - Alternet.org ›
- 'I'm getting pushed to the back of the bus': White Republican anti-masker slammed for comparing herself to Rosa Parks - Alternet.org ›
- A 'subset' of liberals and progressives don’t want to ease any COVID-19 restrictions: journalist - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News promoted a study warning about kids wearing masks — but it just got retracted by a medical journal - Alternet.org ›
- New report reveals how unvaccinated Arkansas is facing a delta variant nightmare - Alternet.org ›
- Ohio Senate candidate slammed for encouraging people to go to work sick during a pandemic: 'Ignorance and stupidity' - Alternet.org ›