'This is why God made pipelines': GOP senator gives nonsensical explanation of Ohio train derailment
United States Senator John Kennedy (R-Louisiana) suggested during a Fox News appearance on Saturday that "God made pipelines" and that somehow that form of notoriously unreliable infrastructure would have prevented the 150-car February 3rd Norfolk Southern Railway freight train derailment that poisoned East Palestine, Ohio with toxic vinyl chloride gas.
The ecological disaster has been tied to former President Donald Trump's rollback of railway safety regulations that were implemented under his predecessor, Barack Obama.
"What do you think of how the federal government has been handling this? And should the secretary of transportation be out there talking to folks?" host John Roberts asked Kennedy, referring to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.
READ MORE: GOP senator’s campaign ad advises voters: 'Next time you get in trouble, call a crackhead'
"Well, this is why God made pipelines," Kennedy replied. "They're much safer than trucks or trains. Now, I understand this particular chemical, uh, could, could not have been transported by a pipeline. Um, but, but all you can do is require the truckers and require the railroads to be as safe as they possibly can. But when you can do it through a pipeline."
Watch below or at this link.
\u201cSen. John Kennedy (R-LA) can\u2019t even follow his own logic on the Ohio train derailment disaster.\u201d— The Recount (@The Recount) 1676764800
READ MORE: Ben Sasse tickles the Senate chamber with 'perfect description' of John Kennedy's career as a lawyer
- Elizabeth Warren is putting together a bipartisan coalition on 'cryptocurrency oversight': report ›
- 'Dumbest' GOP senator who skipped out on Fed nominee vote slammed for blaming Biden for price of gas ›
- 'Tastes like I'd rather be fat': GOP senator wails about kale and yoga mats while calling Democrats 'berserk' ›
- 'We're not afraid to own our policies': Pete Buttigieg hits back at Donald Trump over Ohio train blame - Alternet.org ›
- 'Incredible reach': Donald Trump gloats about 'off the charts' ratings from East Palestine visit - Alternet.org ›
- Buttigieg smacks down House Oversight chair after he announces probe into train derailment response - Alternet.org ›
- Here’s how dangerous was the Ohio chemical train derailment really was: environmental engineer - Alternet.org ›