Watch: J6 committee votes to send four criminal referrals against Donald Trump to DOJ
The U.S. House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack has voted to send four criminal referrals to the Dept. of Justice, even more than previously expected.
The Committee’s referral says Donald Trump is guilty of: Obstruction of an official proceeding; Conspiracy to defraud the United States; Conspiracy to make a false statement; Inciting, assisting or aiding/comforting an insurrection, as reported by CNN’s Jake Tapper.
Calling the move “a major escalation for a congressional investigation that is the most significant in a generation,” The New York Times reports this is “the first time in American history that Congress has referred a former president for criminal prosecution,” and “is the coda to the committee’s intense 18-month investigation into Mr. Trump’s effort to overturn the 2020 election that culminated in a violent mob of the former president’s supporters laying siege to the Capitol.”
Watch this historic moment below or at this link.
- Merrick Garland's case against Donald Trump is probably airtight ›
- Read: J6 committee officially issues damning subpoena to Trump — and gives him 2 weeks to comply ›
- Trump ignores J6 committee deadline to submit documents ›
- Trump goes on hours-long rant against FBI after J6 committee criminal charges — and admits he lost - Alternet.org ›
- Revealed: Trump wanted 10,000 National Guard soldiers to protect him on walk to the Capitol on J6 - Alternet.org ›