Critics spot gigantic flaws in Trump's $400 million 'Epstein Memorial Ballroom' fight
(REUTERS)
Donald Trump shows off his ballroom plans
Donald Trump shows off his ballroom plans
President Donald Trump’s White House announced on Monday that he is asking the Supreme Court to overturn lower court verdicts and allow him to build a ballroom — and now anti-Trump Republicans are mocking him over it.
“Looking for Washington, D.C.'s most glamorous entertainment venue?” The Lincoln Project posted in a parody video on X. The video used a Trump-like voice to satirize the proposed White House ballroom. “Look no further than Donald Trump's Jeffrey Epstein Memorial Ballroom.”
The video added, “At the Jeffrey Epstein Memorial Ballroom, we specialize in middle school dances, sweet sixteens, quinceañeras, beauty pageants, foam parties, and so much more. The Epstein Ballroom is Washington's beautiful secret — 90,000 square feet of gold, glitter, and plaid.”
It continued, “Make your event magical with the Epstein Ballroom's Diddy Baby Oil Flume. Join DJ DJ TJ as he DJs all-ages shows. And this Christmas season, you can sit on Santa Donnie's lap.”
The satire concluded, “Say goodbye to 123 years of history, and say hello to the Donald Trump Jeffrey Epstein Memorial Ballroom. At the Donald Trump Jeffrey Epstein Memorial Ballroom — every day is a wonderful secret.”
The last comment about “a wonderful secret” references Trump’s signed birthday card to Epstein.
Also on Monday, CNN reported that Trump is going to argue the ballroom is necessary for security reasons.
"One of the arguments they have, that some people agree with, is that it is a little bit late to stop construction on this,” CNN White House correspondent Alayna Treene said during a Monday panel discussion. “There is a massive hole in the ground."
CNN's Dana Bash then said that the White House’s new argument is "literally the definition of asking for forgiveness."
Their argument also contradicts what the White House admitted in April, which is that building the White House ballroom has actually impaired the president’s security.
“The bunker emerged in the Trump administration's court fight against the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is challenging the 90,000-square-foot (8,400-square-meter) ballroom project in Washington,” PBS said at the time. “A federal appeals court last week permitted the president to continue with construction of the project at the site of the former East Wing, which was demolished last fall.”
The network continued, “That ruling put on hold a lower-court judge's order blocking aboveground construction but exempted work to ensure the safety and security of the White House. The Republican administration's appeal cited materials that would be installed to make a ‘heavily fortified’ facility, including adding bomb shelters, military installations and a medical facility underneath the ballroom.”