How Ron DeSantis is 'trying to out-Trump Trump' on climate: report
Scientists have been warning that as climate change accelerates, Florida will be hit especially hard — from hurricanes and floods to rising sea levels. Increasing insurance rates are a symptom of Florida's climate woes; WUSF-FM (a National Public Radio affiliate in Tampa) reported that Florida homeowners can expect their property insurance rates to increase by 40 percent in 2023 even though they are already paying almost three times the national average.
But Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is seeking the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, is as much of a climate change denier as his main competitor in the primary: former President Donald Trump.
Oliver Milman, in a report published by The Guardian on May 28, notes that DeSantis has dismissed climate science as "the politicization of the weather" and "left-wing stuff"; denies that climate change had anything to do with Hurricane Ian's severity, and is a strident promoter of fossil fuels. DeSantis often mocks green energy as "woke."
Pete Maysmith, the League of Conservation Voters' senior vice-president of campaigns, told The Guardian, "The cost of taking his anti-climate record to the national stage as president would be catastrophic. DeSantis has already made clear he would unleash his war on climate science, clean energy jobs, and strong pollution safeguards against clean air and clean water."
But not all conservatives are climate change deniers. Former Rep. Bob Inglis (R-South Carolina) believes that DeSantis is missing a golden opportunity by failing to tackle climate change from the right.
The former GOP congressman told The Guardian, "He could've been the post-Trump successful governor, the solver of problems. But instead, he's choosing to be more of the anti-woke warrior than Trump. He's slugging it out in the Trump lane, which is really a terrible mistake…. He could've said, 'Hey, we are dealing with this climate issue in Florida. Let's lead the world on this.' Instead, he's trying to out-Trump Trump."
The Guardian's entire report can be found at this link.
- ‘Trump incarnate’: Biden delivers brutal blow to Ron DeSantis for his position toward the LGBTQ community ›
- Right-wing pastor attributes climate science to Satan and blames environmentalists for Ukraine invasion ›
- 'Bigotry and megalomania': Scientific American Editorial board warns of DeSantis’ 'antiscience agenda' ›
- 'Structural' liabilities: Anti-Trump Republicans 'second-guess' DeSantis as more candidates enter race - Alternet.org ›
- Ex-GOP strategist lays out the fatal flaws in DeSantis and Tim Scott’s campaign launches - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis boasted about sending Iowa help — 10 hours after FL officials learned the mission was cancelled - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis brags his climate change plan is scrap Biden’s - Alternet.org ›
- Face it, Ron DeSantis is losing because he’s bad at this - Alternet.org ›