'Pretty weak sauce': Trumpster Peter Navarro has 'next to no defense' in contempt of Congress trial
In 2022 — when Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-California) was House speaker and Democrats still controlled the U.S. House of Representatives — Peter Navarro was among the Donald Trump loyalists who openly defied a subpoena from the bipartisan January 6 Select Committee. Navarro was indicted on two counts of contempt of Congress in June 2022, and he is still dealing with that federal case.
On Tuesday, August 5, a federal judge OK'd the jury in Navarro's trial. The Daily Beast's Jose Pagliery, in an article published the following day, lays out some reasons why "things aren’t looking good for" Navarro.
"Navarro is poised to lose the trial convincingly, completing his destiny as yet another Trump loyalist undone by his unyielding service to a man who keeps deflecting blame for every policy and business failure," Pagliery argues. "But Navarro isn't just a cautionary Trumpworld tale. For months, Navarro would tell anybody he could about his earnest efforts to keep Trump in office after his political idol lost the 2020 election."
Navarro, a former economic adviser for the Trump Administration, was the poster child for Trump's Big Lie. And Pagliery predicts that a Washington, D.C. jury will not be sympathetic to Navarro's defenses during his trial.
Navarro, Pagliery stresses, has "next to no defense."
"CNN and others noted how the judge described the record as 'barren' and called a portion of Navarro's contrived retelling 'pretty weak sauce,'" the Daily Beast reporter explains. "That means that Navarro, like his buddy (Steve) Bannon, is going to trial to face the music and wait until jurors come to the obvious conclusion that he simply chose to ignore a legitimate congressional subpoena."
Read The Daily Beast's full report at this link (subscription required).
- CNN interview derails as Peter Navarro reminisces about drinking from a 'colored' water fountain at Woolworth's ›
- 'Bro, you’re already facing charges': Protestor mocks Peter Navarro ›
- ‘Do you realize you’re describing a coup?’ Peter Navarro gets schooled during train wreck MSNBC interview ›
- 'He's going to suffer': Former Trump lawyer issues a 'dire' warning to Peter Navarro - Alternet.org ›
- 'Look for a quick conviction': Navarro jury could reach verdict 'early this afternoon' - Alternet.org ›
- Trump trade adviser Navarro convicted of criminal contempt of Congress - Alternet.org ›
- 'You’re going to prison': Peter Navarro heckled after insisting he likely won't do time - Alternet.org ›
- 'Absurd passion play': Former prosecutor bulldozes convicted Trump trade adviser’s 'idolatry' - Alternet.org ›