'Nonsensical theater': Christie torches Trump’s 'misdirection' regarding RNC loyalty pledge
The first 2024 GOP presidential debate is just ten days away and the frontrunner, twice-impeached thrice-indicted ex-President Donald Trump, has refused to sign the Republican National Committee's controversial pledge to "honor the will of the primary voters and support the nominee and will not seek to run as an independent."
As of August 10th, The Hill reported on Thursday, all but three of the crowded field's hopefuls had agreed to the RNC's terms in order to secure their spot. One of the holdouts is former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who severed his allyship with Trump after the January 6th, 2021 insurrection at the United States Capitol.
On Sunday's edition of This Week, Christie predicted to ABC News moderator Jonathan Karl that the RNC will disallow Trump from participating if he fails to adhere to the RNC's rules.
"I think that they are serious about wanting this pledge signed, and I do think they'd keep Donald Trump off the stage if he chose not to sign the pledge," Christie said, recalling that "you and I have been through this before. He did the same thing in 2016 in terms of not wanting to sign the pledge and waiting until the very last minute to do it. We don't know how much he would've respected the pledge even after having signed it."
Regardless, Christie continued, "I think this is all kind of nonsensical theater. I've made that clear to the RNC as well way back before even before I entered this race that I thought the pledge was a bad idea."
Trump, Christie added, "plays misdirection" and "I would not be the least bit surprised if sometime around Sunday or Monday of next week that he signs the pledge and he shows up on the stage on Wednesday. He might not also, but I would not be the least bit surprised if he did. This is about Donald Trump keeping the attention on Donald Trump, and he's doing pretty well because in the first question this morning, we're talking about him and that's what he likes."
Watch below or at this link.
- 'Unluckiest SOB in the world': Chris Christie unloads on Donald Trump ›
- Christie levels 'coward' Trump for 'eating his well-done hamburger' during the Capitol insurrection ›
- Chris Christie: Trump is terrified of jail because he's a 'control freak' ›
- A neuroscientist explains why loyalty to Donald Trump is often unbreakable - Alternet.org ›
- 'We want Trump!' FL GOP backs the ex-president over DeSantis by dropping loyalty pledge - Alternet.org ›
- GOP megadonor is 'deeply disappointed and disgusted' after candidate hires Corey Lewandowski - Alternet.org ›