'Kids are still in body bags': students protest Tennessee House GOP for refusing to address gun violence
More than a week after three nine-year-olds were gunned down, along with three adults at a Nashville elementary school, Republicans in the Tennessee state legislature continue to refuse to address gun violence, and dozens if not hundreds of students are currently protesting outside the House chamber.
Currently, Republican Speaker Cameron Sexton is ramming through a vote to expel three Democrats who one week ago supported protestors who interfered with House business as they protested in the wake of The Covenant Presbyterian School mass shooting.
Those Democrats, now known as the “Tennessee Three,” are Reps. Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones, and Justin Pearson.
On Wednesday, students across the country walked out of classes to protest gun violence in response to the Nashville school massacre.
READ MORE: Jim Jordan Subpoenas Former Trump Hush Money Payoff Prosecutor Who Said Ex-President Is ‘Guilty’
The quickly-convened vote is being held amid a backdrop of students chanting so loudly it can be heard inside the chamber.
“You ban books, you ban drag — kids are still in body bags!” the students are chanting.
In apparent response to Governor Bill Lee’s move to increase police and security guard presence in public schools, the students are also chanting, “Hey Reps listen: schools are not a prison!”
Students are also protesting Speaker Sexton’s attempt to expel the three Democratic representatives who supported the protests calling for lawmakers to pass gun control legislation.
READ MORE: TN Speaker, Who Refused to Remove Republican Accused of Child Sexual Abuse, Moves to Expel Three Dems Over Gun Violence Protest
- 'Heart-wrenching and infuriating': White House rips TN Republicans trying to expel Democrats over guns ›
- 'That's permissive': TN bill does not require school faculty to disclose whether they have guns in classrooms ›
- Tennessee GOP lawmaker dismisses calls for stricter gun control despite Nashville school shooting ›
- Young Democrats in red states are 'fighting back' against MAGA 'culture-war atrocities' - Alternet.org ›
- 'How do we not feel shame?' Tennessee Democrat hammers Republicans over inaction on guns - Alternet.org ›
- 'You let the bullies win': Parents confront Tennessee school board after it cancels Mother’s Day event - Alternet.org ›
- New analysis explains how school gun violence is plaguing America’s youth - Alternet.org ›