'Burn it to the ground': Kari Lake undeterred after Arizona Supreme Court smacks her down
Failed Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake suffered a devastating blow after the state Supreme Court refused to take up her case challenging the results of her election last November, reported Newsweek on Thursday.
“Speaking at a rally organized by Turning Point Action, Charlie Kirk’s right-wing organization, Lake said: ‘They have built a house of cards in Maricopa County. I’m not just going to knock it over. I’m going to burn it to the ground,'” reported Giulia Carbonaro. “Lake shared a video of her speech, with a caption quoting her comments and a fire emoji.”
Lake is one of the only major statewide Republican candidates last year in a hotly contested race who has refused to concede her loss. She has alleged that her voters were illegally suppressed because of technical glitches with ballot tabulators in certain precincts of Maricopa County, the state’s largest population center, on Election Day.
In reality, there is no evidence of foul play, and Maricopa County election officials provided a backup method for affected ballots to be counted. Furthermore, one reason the glitch may have disproportionately affected Lake’s voters is Trump counseled voters not to mail in their ballots early, based on conspiracy theories — though Lake herself had done the opposite and asked her supporters to vote by mail.
READ MORE: Former Trump official: ‘Folks on both sides of the aisle want to see him arrested’
“Her challenge was thrown out by both Maricopa County Judge Peter Thompson and the Arizona Court of Appeals, which said Lake’s case lacked evidence that the hiccups in the county were intentionally caused by election officials to disenfranchise Lake’s supporters,” said the report. “Lake brought her case to the Arizona Supreme Court, which has declined to hear her case, but did send one of her claims back to a county judge for review. A superior court judge in Maricopa County is now reviewing Lake’s claim that the county did not follow signature verification procedures.”
On top of her litigation failures, Lake was referred to the Secretary of State’s office for investigation after she tweeted out images of what appeared to be real voter ballot signatures, which would be a violation of Arizona state law.
- Why Kari Lake has become a major liability for the GOP: conservative ›
- Kari Lake finds Arizona rancher’s arrest 'appalling' after he murdered 'unarmed' Mexican migrant ›
- Watch: Kari Lake threatens to cancel the Super Bowl if the NFL objects to her immigration policies ›
- 'A globalist network': Kari Lake goes scorched earth and burns bridges with Fox News live on air - Alternet.org ›
- 'Bad politics': Conservative editorial warns GOP after Kari Lake courts NRSC ahead of likely Senate run - Alternet.org ›
- Maricopa County officials request sanctions against Kari Lake for 'demonstrably false statements' - Alternet.org ›