'Joe Biden’s the president': DeSantis says 'of course' Trump 'lost' in 2020
Editor's note: This article was updated with additional information about DeSantis' interview.
Florida governor and 2024 Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis told NBC News correspondent Dasha Burns on Sunday that thrice-indicted former President Donald Trump was defeated in the 2020 election.
"Whoever puts their hand on the Bible on January 20th every four years is the winner," DeSantis said in an exclusive interview that will air during Monday edition of NBC Nightly News.
"Of course he lost. Joe Biden's the president. But the issue is, I think with people in the media and elsewhere, they wanna act like somehow, this is just like the perfect election," DeSantis continued. "I don't think it was a good-run election. But I also think Republicans didn't fight back. You've got to fight back when that is happening."
Trump's spokesman Steve Cheung responded in a statement to NBC that "Ron DeSantis should really stop being Joe Biden's biggest cheerleader.
View the conversation here.
- Ron DeSantis was an obsequious Trump 'sycophant' before he became 'his own brand': journalist ›
- Trump lashes out at prosecutors, Biden and DeSantis in Alabama speech ›
- Trump’s 2020 election claims 'did not prove to be true': Ron DeSantis ›
- 'Fascist' and 'tyrant': DeSantis blasted for ousting another elected Black Democratic state attorney - Alternet.org ›
- 'Critics wincing': DeSantis’ 'odd smile attempt' during GOP debate brutally mocked by detractors - Alternet.org ›
- 'He didn’t build a damn thing': Biden unloads on Trump in Labor Day speech - Alternet.org ›