Jim Jordan tells DOJ to turn over details of Jack Smith’s Trump investigation
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) is apparently trying to give Donald Trump a peek inside the special counsel investigation.
The House Judiciary Committee chairman sent a letter Thursday to attorney general Merrick Garland seeking details about the FBI's involvement in special counsel Jack Smith's sprawling investigations of the former president, including his mishandling of classified documents found at his private residence at Mar-a-Lago, reported The Federalist.
"Explain whether any FBI employees who have worked on Special Counsel Smith’s investigation previously worked on any other matters concerning President Trump," Jordan wrote, "and explain whether Special Counsel Smith’s investigation relies on any information or material gathered exclusively by the FBI prior the Special Counsel’s appointment."
The Ohio Republican claimed congressional oversight authority to request a briefing by deputy attorney general Lisa Monaco on any changes made by the FBI to correct any failings cited by Trump-era special counsel John Durham, who recently submitted his final report following a years-long investigation.
"Public trust in the FBI is low," Jordan wrote. "Recent examples of political bias in FBI and Department of Justice operations show that the so-called 'corrective measures' the FBI instituted after Crossfire Hurricane have done nothing to address, let alone cure, the institutional rot that pervades the FBI.
"It is clear that Congress must consider legislative reforms to the FBI, and the Committee has been engaged in robust oversight to inform those legislative proposals. In the interim, however, due to the FBI’s documented political bias, the Justice Department must ensure any ongoing investigations are not poisoned by this same politicization."
- 'I know what you’re doing': Michael Cohen blasts Jim Jordan — 'I wrote that playbook' ›
- Jim Jordan's attempt to 'intimidate' Manhattan DA is a 'gross abuse of congressional power': conservative ›
- 'So defund the police?' Jim Jordan slammed for plan to cut DOJ and FBI funds over Trump indictment ›
- Jim Jordan demands Merrick Garland hand over documents authorizing special counsel’s Trump investigation - Alternet.org ›
- Trump-defending law professor warns Jack Smith's charges pose 'a lethal threat' - Alternet.org ›
- Watch live: Special counsel Jack Smith holds news conference after Trump criminal indictment unsealed ›
- DOJ slams Jim Jordan’s 'unjustified and premature' subpoenas in Hunter Biden probe - Alternet.org ›