DeSantis’ agreement to debate Gavin Newsom 'a sign of' his 'desperation': Miami mayor
Miami Republican Mayor Francis Suarez shared his thoughts in a recent interview on Florida Governor Ron DeSantis' agreement to debate California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom on Fox News.
Politico reports earlier this week that "Newsom's office had sent a formal request offer to Fox News last week with proposed debate dates of Nov. 8 or Nov. 10," which sought after host Sean "Hannity to serve as the sole moderator for a 90-minute forum on Fox News that would not include an in-studio audience and would air live."
The tentative agreement between the pair comes after Newsom and California Attorney General Ron Bonta urged the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate The Sunshine State after a group of 16 migrants were flown by private jet from El Paso, Texas" and dropped off in Sacramento in June under DeSantis' direction.
Suarez said he believes the Florida leader's willingness to debate Newsom "is a sign of DeSantis' desperation, to be honest. I think it's a no brainer for him."
He continued, "What are the big criticisms of him? That he won't take on rough interviews, that he's sort of coddled, that he's not willing to expose himself. And I think his advisor told him that's over. You're not going in the right direction. You're going in the wrong direction. And the only way to shake things up is to take risks. This is the only way to change the dynamic. And I think for him, this gives him volume. We're all seeking volume, at some level, right? We have to make our case with volume. And everything is ROT. I call it ROT — return on time. Where are you investing your time in terms of how much volume you're getting to try to get your message to connect? I'm not surprised at all. He puts pressure on himself. He's got to compete. He's got to do well. And if he does poorly, I think it's very, very fatal. And by the way, who knows if he's the race in November? I think that's another issue."
Watch the video below or at this link.
Politico's full report is available at this link.
- Newsom: Staffers stage 'interventions with me' for being 'obsessed' with Fox News ›
- DeSantis’ migrant flight 'scheme' should be considered 'for federal prosecution': Massachusetts DA ›
- 'Weakness masquerading as strength': Gavin Newsom torches Ron DeSantis during Florida school visit ›
- Miami mayor said he qualifies for first GOP debate — but he doesn’t: report - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis a 'terrible debater' whom GOP candidates 'should go after': Republican strategist - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis donors insist 'complete debate victory' fueled decision to put $25M towards TV ads: report - Alternet.org ›
- CA gov signs executive order to prevent 'mass casualty events and environmental emergencies' by AI - Alternet.org ›