Conservatives defending Harlan Crow’s gifts to Clarence Thomas also have ties to GOP megadonor: report
On April 6, ProPublica published a bombshell report saying that U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thomas had, for "over 20 years," been "treated to luxury vacations by Republican donor Harlan Crow" and failed to report it. Thomas' allies were quick to rush to his defense. And some of those defenders, according to The Lever's Andrew Perez, are Crow associates themselves.
One of them is The Manhattan Institute's Ilya Shapiro.
Perez, in an article published by The Lever on April 11, explains, "Hours after ProPublica dropped its report on Thomas, Ilya Shapiro, a senior fellow at the right-wing think tank Manhattan Institute, tweeted, 'Unless Harlan Crow has some business before the Court, the @propublica report about Justice Thomas is a big breathless nothingburger.' Unmentioned: The Manhattan Institute, where Shapiro leads an amicus brief filing program lobbying the Supreme Court to rule certain ways on issues like student debt cancellation and corporate taxation, boasts Crow's wife Kathy on its board of trustees and has been called 'wonderful' by Crow himself."
READ MORE: How Clarence Thomas’ concurring opinion suggests other rights may be vulnerable after Roe: analysis
Perez also notes that conservative journalist Jonah Goldberg, formerly of the National Review and now editor-in-chief of The Dispatch, has been defending Crow vigorously. On April 8, Goldberg tweeted, "Harlan Crow is a deeply honorable, decent, and patriotic person. He's not the strawman Thomas haters are trying to make him."
According to Perez, "As The Dispatch separately noted in a news article covering Crow's gifts to Thomas, 'Harlan Crow is a minority investor in The Dispatch and a friend of the founders.' Goldberg is also a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, a right-wing think tank where Crow serves on the board of trustees. Previously, Goldberg was a senior fellow at the National Review Institute, the nonprofit affiliated with the conservative National Review magazine."
READ MORE: Democrats must do all they can to expose 'corrupt' Clarence Thomas and 'destroy his reputation': journalist
Read The Lever’s full article at this link.
- 'Ethics be damned': Legal experts aghast over bombshell report on Clarence Thomas’ luxury lifestyle ›
- 'It is your duty': Dem lawmakers pressure Chief Justice to probe Clarence Thomas secret gifts ›
- Here Are 5 of Clarence Thomas’ Worst Decisions - And Proof Judge Brett Kavanaugh Is Cut from the Same Cloth ›
- Clarence Thomas keeps telling on himself - Alternet.org ›
- Senator says Clarence Thomas should be referred to US attorney general - Alternet.org ›
- Revealed: Texas billionaire had at least one case before the Supreme Court — despite Thomas’ claim - Alternet.org ›
- GOP’s 'fealty to megadonors on full display': IRS cuts will cost $40 billion in lost revenue - Alternet.org ›