House Democrat: Kevin McCarthy 'practically auctioning off real estate in the Capitol' to be speaker
United States Congressman Pete Aguilar (D-California), who sits on the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol, scolded House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-California) for selling out to the most extreme elements of the Republican caucus during an appearance on Sunday's edition of Face the Nation.
McCarthy made it through a preliminary round of voting last month in his quest to succeed outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-California). But the GOP's right-wing faction – which remains loyal to former President Donald Trump and revered by his Make America Great Again movement – has mounted resistance to McCarthy's bid.
Aguilar believes that McCarthy will do literally anything to obtain more power.
"The possibly-incoming speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy has vowed to hold hearings about why the Capitol complex wasn't secure on January 6th and he has faulted your Committee for not focusing enough on this. How do you respond to that question of why there isn't more of a focus on security breakdowns?" CBS moderator Margaret Brennan asked.
“If and when that individual becomes the possible speaker and can count the votes to get there – I have my doubts – look, we stand willing for anybody to stand the test of time and to look at the history of the documents of what we've put forward. But we are talking about security. We are talking about what happened that day," Aguilar replied.
"I think that what's happening is Kevin McCarthy has to do anything he can to appease the MAGA extremists within his party. He's trying to count to 218. If that means sending subpoenas to the Committee members, if that means being tough to Committee members, that's what he has to do right now," Aguilar continued, "because he's practically auctioning off real estate in the Capitol in order to secure the votes.”
Watch below or at this link.
\u201c\u201cKevin McCarthy has to do anything he can to appease the MAGA extremists within his party,\u201d says Rep. Pete Aguilar on Rep. Kevin McCarthy campaign for House Speaker. \u201cHe's practically auctioning off real estate in the Capitol in order to secure the votes.\u201d\u201d— Face The Nation (@Face The Nation) 1670173375
- Is Kevin McCarthy 'afraid' of Donald Trump? Donna Brazile and Chris Christie spar over GOP leader's future ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene unleashes on Kevin McCarthy with chilling warning and post-election prediction ›
- 'He resurrected Donald Trump': Adam Kinzinger says Kevin McCarthy will not 'last very long' as speaker ›
- Republicans withholding speakership support from Kevin McCarthy cite 'past and ongoing GOP failures' - Alternet.org ›
- Why this former Paul Ryan aide fears House speaker vote could become a 'fight unprecedented in modern times' - Alternet.org ›
- 'It’s going to get very serious': Why the House speaker debacle raises troubling national security concerns - Alternet.org ›