'Just a disaster': Right-wing journalist reacts with horror to Trump’s reported meeting with Nick Fuentes
On Friday, right-wing Washington Examiner political correspondent Byron York took to Twitter to warn that former President Donald Trump's increasingly open fraternization with white nationalists like Nick Fuentes is a crisis for the Republican Party.
"Trump, Kanye, Nick Fuentes — No longer a disaster waiting to happen," wrote York. "Now just a disaster.
This comes after Fuentes reportedly traveled to Trump's Mar-a-Lago country club residence in Palm Beach, Florida for a meeting — after which pro-Trump rapper Kanye West claimed that Trump was "really impressed" with the far-right activist.
Fuentes first gained prominence after his participation in the 2017 white supremacist "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, which resulted in the murder of a counterprotester. He leads a movement known as the "Groyper Army," an association of extremist internet trolls whose mission is to inject white nationalist ideology into the mainstream of political debate. Fuentes was active in politics during the 2022 midterms as well, with failed Washington Congressional candidate Joe Kent seeking his endorsement.
Kanye West himself, who also goes by the mononym Ye, has come under heavy fire in recent weeks for promoting anti-Semitic beliefs, including a social media rant in which he said he was going to go "death con 3" on Jewish people.
All of this comes as Trump is preparing for his third consecutive run for president in 2024, which has conservative forces unsure whether to fall in with the base or back him once more.
- 'Looks can be deceiving': DOJ says Nancy Pelosi's laptop thief is a 'threat to democracy' as trial begins ›
- Warring Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert had to be separated at GOP conference: report ›
- Nick Fuentes praises 'thinly veiled racism' of GOP attacks on Ketanji Brown Jackson ›
- Trump says he had no idea his dinner guest was a notorious Holocaust denier - Alternet.org ›
- Trump claims he 'knew nothing about' white supremacist who he and Kanye West dined with at Mar-a-Lago - Alternet.org ›
- 'Nightmare': Longtime Trump adviser warns Fuentes meeting is 'another reason' people want 'DeSantis to run' - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Former Trump staffer says Donald 'does not need to apologize' for dining with Holocaust denier - Alternet.org ›
- Conservative details what 'Holocaust denier' Nick Fuentes has in common with 'radical Islamists' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Chickens are coming home to roost': Nick Fuentes contradicts Ye’s campaign manager over Mar-a-Lago dinner - Alternet.org ›
- Trump’s bigoted dinner guest Nick Fuentes favors burning women alive - Alternet.org ›