'Substantial legal jeopardy': George Conway assesses Trump's legal woes while criticizing those continuing to defend him

'Substantial legal jeopardy': George Conway assesses Trump's legal woes while criticizing those continuing to defend him
President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump participate in the pre-recorded National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Monday, Nov. 30, 2020, on the Blue Room Balcony of the White House. (Official White House Photo by Tia Dufour)
Bank

George Conway recently discussed former President Donald Trump's challenging week as he suggested that he is in "very substantial legal jeopardy."

On Friday, August 12, the conservative lawyer appeared on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront" where he weighed in on the series of reports surrounding the Federal Bureau of Investigations' (FBI) search of Mar-a-Lago.

"He's in very substantial legal jeopardy," Conway said. "If anybody else had done this, if a national security advisor had done this, if an assistant to the president had done this, if I had done this, if you had done this, we'd probably be already charged."

READ MORE: Trump accused of 'witness tampering' by George Conway

He continued, "Having top-secret FBI information in our home? You're not allowed to bring that out. You're not allowed to bring that home. People have been charged for a lot less."

Conway's interview follows the release of the FBI's Mar-a-Lago search warrant and property list that offered an itemized breakdown of the documents the agents were searching for in regard to "potential violations of the Espionage Act" which, Business Insider notes, "bars the unauthorized removal of defense-related information that could aid a foreign government."

The former president is also facing an investigative probe for possible obstruction of justice. The search warrant was unsealed following the U.S. Department of Justice's request for the details to be publicly released amid Trump and his allies' claims that the search was politically motivated.

During the CNN broadcast, a statement from Kash Patel — who previously served as chief of staff to former Acting U.S. Department of Defense Secretary Christopher Miller— who argued that it was "not the former president's responsibility to organize presidential documents."

READ MORE: 'A bold step': George Conway explains why Trump 'should be worried' following Mar-a-Lago FBI search

"The GSA has since come out, the Government Services Administration said they mistakenly packed some boxes and moved them to Mar-a-Lago. That's not on the president. That's on the National Archives to sort that material out," he said on Fox News.

However, on Friday, the Government Services Administration (GSA) also released a response saying, according to Insider, "the onus rests with an administration on what is transported when a president leaves the Oval Office."

"The responsibility for making decisions about what materials are moved rests entirely with the outgoing president and their supporting staff," the government agency said in its statement.

Conway continued with a critical assessment of the individuals still attempting to defend Trump following the FBI's search of his property. "The people who are trying to defend Trump are basically desperate," he said. "They've been making all sorts of insane arguments, arguing that the FBI planted documents."

He continued, "None of this makes any sense at all. In order to have taken them from the White House, he probably brought them up to the residence.

"He had no business bringing top-secret FBI material from the Situation Room or the Oval Office up to the residence. He had no business having these documents and as soon as the Archives pointed that out, every single one of them should have been returned to the government, and he didn't do that."

READ MORE: 'And yet Donald Trump persisted': George Conway explains the 'remarkable' significance of new January 6th texts

Understand the importance of honest news ?

So do we.

The past year has been the most arduous of our lives. The Covid-19 pandemic continues to be catastrophic not only to our health - mental and physical - but also to the stability of millions of people. For all of us independent news organizations, it’s no exception.

We’ve covered everything thrown at us this past year and will continue to do so with your support. We’ve always understood the importance of calling out corruption, regardless of political affiliation.

We need your support in this difficult time. Every reader contribution, no matter the amount, makes a difference in allowing our newsroom to bring you the stories that matter, at a time when being informed is more important than ever. Invest with us.

Make a one-time contribution to Alternet All Access, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.

Click to donate by check.

DonateDonate by credit card
Donate by Paypal
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}
@2022 - AlterNet Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. - "Poynter" fonts provided by fontsempire.com.