'The January 6th prosecutors are watching': Merrick Garland teases possible Justice Department pursuit of Donald Trump
United States Attorney General Merrick Garland revealed on Monday that he and the Department of Justice are paying extremely close attention to the six public hearings hosted by the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol.
Garland's remarks come as scores of legal experts express concern and frustration at his apparent reluctance to indict former President Donald Trump for orchestrating a multi-front criminal scheme to remain in power after losing the 2020 election to President Joe Biden.
DOJ has maintained virtual radio silence regarding if it is pursuing charges against Trump. Garland has previously stated, however, that he will follow the evidence, wherever it may lead.
But on Monday, Garland tossed the public a small bone, telling reporters at a press conference that "I am watching and will be watching all of the hearings" and that "the January 6th prosecutors are watching all of the hearings."
Watch below via Acyn:
\u201cGarland: I can assure that the January 6th prosecutors are watching all the hearings\u201d— Acyn (@Acyn) 1655145489
Garland also stated that "this investigation is proceeding according to the facts and the law. We are not obstructed from continuing our investigation in any way."
Watch below via The Republican Accountability Project:
\u201cAG Garland, asked if DOJ policy prohibits it from pursuing charges against senior former government officials, says:\n\n\u201cThis investigation is proceeding according to the facts and the law. We are not obstructed from continuing our investigation in any way.\u201d\u201d— The Republican Accountability Project (@The Republican Accountability Project) 1655148617
National Public Radio noted that Garland reiterated that "we are proceeding with full urgency with respect, as I've said many times before, to hold all perpetrators who are criminally responsible for January 6th accountable, regardless of their level, their position, and regardless of whether they were present at the events on January 6th. We're just going to follow the facts wherever they lead."
- Merrick Garland not ruling out prosecuting Donald Trump - Alternet.org ›
- 'What is Merrick Garland waiting for?' There's 'growing frustration' in ... ›
- Merrick Garland has more than enough evidence to indict Donald ... ›
- DOJ official 'emphatic that Garland can and will prosecute' Trump allies over Jan. 6: investigative reporter - Alternet.org ›
- The House January 6th Select Committee has masterfully trapped Donald Trump - Alternet.org ›
- 'Could you swing by Georgia?': AG's surprise Ukraine trip raises eyebrows about his focus on Donald Trump - Alternet.org ›