'Masterful prosecutorial' arguments: George Conway commends Liz Cheney for torching Trump during Jan. 6 panel hearing
George Conway recently lauded Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) for her “masterful prosecutorial” arguments where she condemned former President Donald Trump during the House Select Committee hearing. Since the Thursday night hearing, the conservative attorney has appeared on MSNBC and CNN to offer his assessment of Cheney's address during the first hearing.
During his appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Conway said he believes Cheney's remarks were "compelling" enough to convince the U.S. Department of Justice that a "triable criminal case" can be built against the former president for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection on the U.S. Capitol.
\u201c.@gtconway3d on first Jan 6 hearing: \u201cThis was a masterful prosecutorial presentation by Rep. Cheney\u2026It tied together all the various strands of what Donald Trump caused, what he did, and his criminal intent established by people who worked for him.\u201d\u201d— Morning Joe (@Morning Joe) 1654880985
After the hearing on Thursday night, Conway also offered more insight into Cheney’s initial address describing it as the “opening statement of a prosecutor — an opening statement that you could have delivered in a trial in ‘United States of America against Donald J. Trump’ for conspiracy to defraud the United States, for obstructing a congressional proceeding.”
He also said, “I think it’s going to be hard not to” bring charges against Trump after the arguments presented during the hearing.
According to Conway, Cheney “went through all the reasons why there is substantial evidence to believe that Donald Trump intentionally committed the crime of corruptly interfering with a congressional proceeding, and of fraudulently seeking to obstruct a function of the government.”
George Conway www.youtube.com
Then, on Friday, June 10, Conway did a follow-up appearance on CNN where he offered a more in-depth prediction of what a viable case might look like against Trump. He also offered his take on the recount of the disturbing chaos that erupted at the Capitol on Jan. 6.
“The three hours, the three hours when he did nothing,” Conway said to CNN's Brianna Keilar. “From an emotional standpoint, the contradiction, the incredible contrast between the fidelity to duty of the Capitol Police officer [Caroline Edwards] who was slipping on her colleagues’ blood, and the complete dereliction of constitutional duty by the president of the United States. It’s just a damning portrait.”
See the full clip of Conway's interview below:
George Conway reacts to Liz Cheney's message to the GOP youtu.be
- George Conway: Donald Trump engaged in a 'multi-faceted criminal ... ›
- 'And yet Donald Trump persisted': George Conway explains the ... ›
- George Conway explains why Mazars dumping Donald Trump is a ... ›
- Watch: Second Jan. 6 hearing aims to prove Trump’s willful lies drove violent insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- 'We are picking up new evidence at an enormous velocity': Jamie Raskin teases more explosive hearings - Alternet.org ›
- Trump has 'privately' complained about the lack of GOP presence on Jan. 6 panel — now he’s taking his gripe public - Alternet.org ›
- House January 6th panel postpones public hearings until July to review substantial new evidence: report - Alternet.org ›