Watch: Beto O'Rourke escorted out of press conference after confronting Greg Abbott, Ted Cruz over Uvalde shooting
Democratic Texas gubernatorial candidate Beto O'Rourke was escorted out of a press conference by police on Wednesday after he confronted incumbent Republican Governor Greg Abbott over Tuesday's mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde that left 19 students and two teachers dead.
New York Post reporter MaryAnn Martinez snapped a photo of O'Rourke sitting in the audience right before he approached the stage.
Democratic gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke is at Governor Greg Abbott’s press conference in Uvalde, Texas. pic.twitter.com/sQa0966JYp
— MaryAnn Martinez (@MaryAnnreports) May 25, 2022
"You're doing nothing. You're all doing nothing. This was totally predictable," Beto calmly said to Abbott, who was seated at a table next to Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick (R) while United States Senator Ted Cruz (R) stood behind him.
"Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, you're out of line and an embarrassment," Patrick said to O'Rourke.
Uvalde's GOP Mayor Don McLaughlin, who was stationed on stage right, then erupted at O'Rourke while the former Congressman was asking his elected representativces to redress his grievances.
"You need to get his ass outta here," he told a police officer.
"Sir, you are out of line. Sir, you are out of line," he shouted toward O'Rourke. "I can't believe you're a sick son of a bitch that would come to a deal like this to make a political issue."
Last year, Abbott signed a near-universal open carry law eliminating state background checks, permit requirements, and basic training for firearm owners.
Watch below via CNN Chief White House Correspondent Kaitlan Collins:
Beto O’Rourke interrupts ongoing press conference by Texas Gov. Abbott and other officials. pic.twitter.com/qa8YY0ghQy
— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) May 25, 2022
And from another angle, courtesy of The Huffington Post's Daniel Marans:
Beto interrupts pic.twitter.com/sh8wbJgQZh
— Daniel Marans (@danielmarans) May 25, 2022
- 'Bald-faced lie': Houston Chronicle torches Texas gov's 'bankrupt ... ›
- Former presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke unveils PAC with ... ›
- O'Rourke calls Abbott a 'thug' and an 'authoritarian' who's 'got his ... ›
- Greg Abbott attends campaign fundraiser only hours after the Uvalde massacre - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: CNN host corners Texas GOP lawmaker for working tirelessly to protect embryos but not 10-year-old kids - Alternet.org ›
- 'How not to handle a school shooter': Frank Figliuzzi blasts delayed police response in Uvalde - Alternet.org ›
- 'Macabre': Texas schools send DNA Kits to Parents in wake of Uvalde shooting massacre after Abbott signed law - Alternet.org ›
- 'Does he learn anything from this?' Experts discuss Beto O'Rourke's future after third loss in four years - Alternet.org ›
- What Greg Abbott’s decisive win over O’Rourke means for his third term in office - Alternet.org ›
- 'Pugilist Patrick on full display': Texas lieutenant governor takes aim at 2 Republicans who crossed him - Alternet.org ›