Ben Shapiro calls on Supreme Court to 'unwind' same-sex marriage
Now that it seems clear the Supreme Court will take away the constitutional right to abortion, conservatives are urging the Court to attack LGBTQ rights. Ben Shapiro, the “radical conservative” founder of the right-wing website The Daily Wire is calling on the Supreme Court to overturn Obergefell, the landmark ruling that finds same-sex marriage is a constitutional right.
“First of all, Obergefell is a bad Supreme Court decision. And if we had a Supreme Court worth its salt, they would overturn Obergefell but they’re not going to,” he claims.
“Alito says, I think three separate times in that decision that I read in nearly its totality on the air yesterday, that this has no impact on other cases of different lines, which is a clear reference to Obergefell,” Shapiro adds.
Alito also suggests in that leaked opinion that the cases that are the basis for modern-day LGBTQ civil rights were wrongly decided, including Lawrence v. Texas.
But as Politico (and many others have) reported, “Alito’s approach can be used to unwind” the decisions supporting LGBTQ civil rights, including same-sex sex and marriage.
- GOP hyperventilating over the Alito Roe v. Wade leak is a 'cynical ... ›
- Facts don't care about Ben Shapiro's feelings - Alternet.org ›
- Ben Shapiro defends Elon Musk's tweet comparing Justin Trudeau ... ›
- Legal experts expect major chaos if the Supreme Court overturns Obergefell - Alternet.org ›
- Virginia lawmaker slams Glenn Youngkin for wildly misleading comments on same-sex marriage - Alternet.org ›
- This GOP lawmaker attended his gay son’s wedding only 3 days after voting against marriage equality - Alternet.org ›
- Religious University allowed to continue not recognizing LGBTQ student group for now, SCOTUS says - Alternet.org ›
- LGBTQ students in civil rights case against religious university chalk up Supreme Court win - Alternet.org ›
- Senate battle over same-sex marriage could hinge on two Wisconsin lawmakers who don't see eye to eye - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh invoke Martians in wildly inaccurate rant against same-sex marriage - Alternet.org ›
- SCOTUS rules in favor of anti-LGBTQ business owner - Alternet.org ›
- 'Impossible' to respect Supreme Court after anti-LGBTQ ruling: legal expert - Alternet.org ›