'He lost his license to practice law': Liz Cheney excoriates Rudy Giuliani for peddling Donald Trump's Big Lie
United States Representative Liz Cheney (R-Wyoming) hammered ex-New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani during a speech on the House floor on Wednesday afternoon. Cheney is one of only two Republicans serving on the bipartisan House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol.
Her remarks came as lawmakers debated whether to hold erstwhile allies of former President Donald Trump in contempt of Congress for refusing to answer the Committee's questions about Trump's role in the deadly insurrection.
Giuliani worked as a pro bono lawyer for Trump throughout and after his presidency. Giuliani's law license was suspended by the New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division last summer as punishment for filing bogus lawsuits contesting the results of the 2020 election. Giuliani's license was also yanked in the District of Columbia.
Cheney made it a point during her address to remind the American people that Trump's cases were "so frivolous and so unfounded" that Giuliani was stripped of his ability to practice law.
"The election claims made by Donald Trump were so frivolous and so unfounded that the president’s lead lawyer did not just lose these cases, he lost his license to practice law," said Cheney. "The New York Supreme Court found 'there is uncontroverted evidence that Mr. Giuliani communicated demonstrably false and misleading statements to courts, lawmakers, and the public at large in his capacity as lawyer for former President Donald J. Trump and the Trump campaign in connection with Trump's failed effort at reelection in 2020.'"
Cheney: The election claims made by Donald Trump were so frivolous and so unfounded that the President\u2019s lead lawyer did not just lose these cases, he lost his license to practice law\u2026pic.twitter.com/vwHpetQl4V— Acyn (@Acyn) 1649279017
The Twitter crowd went wild.
Liz Cheney bringing the fire and receipts!!!pic.twitter.com/dCf63ZNDVd— Island Girl - I Stand with Ukraine, Also Vote Blue (@Island Girl - I Stand with Ukraine, Also Vote Blue) 1649279310
Surprised the mike she was using didn't drop on its own after that bomb.— Stacy Martin (@Stacy Martin) 1649279388
Has Trump ever done anything right?\nJust one failure after another.— Pete Williams (@Pete Williams) 1649279608
It's amazing how these clowns can just make a mockery of the courts and everyone else is expected to bow down lol— Neil McCauley (@Neil McCauley) 1649279869
Sigh, you know you did wrong when Liberals are praising a republican futhermore a "Cheney"— Legitimate.Political.Discourse.BOT (@Legitimate.Political.Discourse.BOT) 1649280025
- Liz Cheney's revelation about the Jan. 6 committee should terrify ... ›
- Liz Cheney says Donald Trump may face 'enhanced criminal ... ›
- Liz Cheney fires off a warning to Trump and his allies in scathing ... ›
- 'Enabled white supremacy': Liz Cheney goes on attack against Stefanik and GOP leaders after Buffalo mass shooting - Alternet.org ›
- Liz Cheney reveals 'chilling' and 'well-organized' conspiracy behind Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›
- Rudy Giuliani hit with ethics charge from DC Bar after pushing baseless election fraud claims: report - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Liz Cheney mocks 'apparently inebriated Rudy Giuliani' — and shows he was behind false claim of Trump win - Alternet.org ›
- Conservative explains why Trump’s former campaign manager was part of 'Team Coup' — not 'Team Normal' - Alternet.org ›
- New far-right PAC is taking aim at 'DC Diva' Liz Cheney amid House January 6th panel's hearings: report - Alternet.org ›
- Man who allegedly 'assaulted' Rudy Giulani has charges reduced - Alternet.org ›
- Rudy Giuliani was 'praying' for the Medal of Freedom and a 'general pardon' from Donald Trump: book - Alternet.org ›
- Why 'coup lawyers' Giuliani and Eastman should face real accountability in 2023: columnist - Alternet.org ›