'And yet Donald Trump persisted': George Conway explains the 'remarkable' significance of new January 6th texts
Appearing on CNN just moments after the network revealed that Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Rp. Chip Roy (R-TX) were in constant contact with former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows seeking help to overturn the 2020 election results -- only to realize there was no case to be made -- conservative attorney George Conway called the messages a "remarkable chronology" of the attempt to subvert the election.
Speaking with host John Berman, Conway explained, "It's a remarkable chronology and I think the key significance is the contrast with Trump's behavior."
"The judge in California who said that Donald Trump likely committed crimes pointed out all the evidence that was presented to Trump or available to Trump that he should have known that there was no fraud sufficient to overturn the election," he elaborated. "And what you see with these texts is a remarkable chronology in real-time of them wanting to see, find evidence of fraud, and then not hearing any from [Rudy] Giuliani and Sidney Powell -- and all the cases they lost, 60 plus in federal, state courts throughout the country -- and they came to the conclusion that there was no constitutional way to overturn this election, and yet Donald Trump persisted."
"These two members, Lee and Roy, Senator Lee and Representative Roy, basically saying, help me help you," CNN host Berman interjected. "But then over time they realized there was, in their words, 'no help there.' Just look at the evolution from Chip Roy, he said: 'We need ammo. We need fraud examples.' Later he is saying the president should have never have 'spun up something to Americans that is not true."
"No there there," Conway repeated. "That's the point that the judge was making about Trump's probable intent. He did not care whether or not there was evidence or not."
CNN 04 15 2022 07 18 04youtu.be
- Ginni Thomas' texts to Mark Meadows are a 'self-appraisal' of ... ›
- Revealed: Don Trump Jr. sent text messages to Mark Meadows with ... ›
- Text messages showcase the chaos and desperation inside ... ›
- 'Come clean': Utah newspaper blasts Mike Lee — demands he speak out about involvement in Trump’s attempted coup - Alternet.org ›
- George Conway: Donald Trump engaged in a 'multi-faceted criminal conspiracy' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Masterful prosecutorial' arguments: George Conway commends Liz Cheney for torching Trump during Jan. 6 panel hearing - Alternet.org ›
- Trump accused of 'witness tampering' by George Conway - Alternet.org ›
- 'He's thinking about you': Twitter explodes with calls to charge Donald Trump with witness tampering - Alternet.org ›
- 'Substantial legal jeopardy': George Conway assesses Trump's legal woes while criticizing those continuing to defend him - Alternet.org ›
- George Conway says everything Donald Trump does is part of 'the grift' - Alternet.org ›
- 'You broke into my cookie jar': George Conway pens new essay mocking Trump’s anti-FBI rhetoric - Alternet.org ›
- 'Please get on board': Mike Lee goes on Fox News to beg Mitt Romney for help against 'fierce' Senate challenger - Alternet.org ›
- 'His reelection is teetering': Mike Lee suffers the consequences of his 'Trump brownnosing' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Substantial trouble': George Conway believes Trump is facing grim legal possibilities and should 'remain silent' - Alternet.org ›
- GOP congressman from Texas calls for defunding Homeland Security - Alternet.org ›