A key moderate Democrat now appears to be under scrutiny by the FBI
This week, Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas became the subject of an FBI search, according to CNN.
Daniella Diaz and Evan Perez of CNN report that in addition to a “court-authorized” search of Cuellar’s home on Wednesday night, FBI agents “searched a second building housing his campaign office.”
The FBI, however, was vague about the reasons for the searches. An FBI spokesperson told CNN, “The FBI was present in the vicinity of Windridge Drive and Estate Drive in Laredo conducting court-authorized law enforcement activity. The FBI cannot provide further comment on an ongoing investigation.”
A Cuellar spokesperson was also unclear about the reasons for the FBI’s investigation, only telling CNN, “Congressman Cuellar will fully cooperate in any investigation. He is committed to ensuring that justice and the law are upheld.”
The 66-year-old Cuellar, a Blue Dog Democrat and native of Laredo, Texas, served in the Texas House of Representatives from 1987-2001, and he served as Texas’ secretary of state in 2001 under then-Gov. Rick Perry — the conservative Republican who appointed him to that position. Cuellar was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2004 and is now serving his ninth term.
Cuellar is quite centrist politically, sometimes inspiring comparisons to fellow Blue Dogs like Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona and Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia as well as former Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut (who left the Democratic Party after many years and became an independent).
- Kyrsten Sinema had a curt response to major dissent brewing ... ›
- Joe Manchin is not a 'mystery' — he's the same old centrist he's ... ›
- Paul Krugman says centrist Democrats need to 'wake up' and realize ... ›
- FBI probe targets Rep. Cuellar's home, campaign HQ in Laredo ... ›
- FBI says it's conducting a 'court-authorized' search of Rep. Henry ... ›
- Henry Cuellar says he's cooperating with FBI investigation | The ... ›
- Centrist Democrats scramble House drug pricing effort - POLITICO ›
- Centrist Democrats pose major problem for progressives | TheHill ›
- Rep. Henry Cuellar congressman says he will 'cooperate with any ... ›