Gorsuch compares COVID to seasonal flu
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article erroneously quoted Justice Gorsuch saying the flu kills “hundreds of thousands of people every year.” The headline and story have been change for accuracy.
Conservative justices on the Supreme Court are making it clear they oppose President Joe Biden’s vaccinate or test workplace mandate. Arguments against the OSHA-enforced directive from attorneys arguing the case on the right are being derided on social media, but now the justices themselves are making embarrassing excuses to kill the life-saving federal order.
Take Justice Neil Gorsuch, a 54-year old father of two with a Harvard Law degree and a PhD from Oxford.
He has zero medical training. (It also appears he’s an anti-masker, see below.)
The Trump appointed jurist on Thursday handed down medical “information” to support the clear desire of the far right court to end the mandate.
During oral arguments, made by two right wing attorneys remotely because both have COVID, Gorsuch compared the deadly coronavirus which has killed over 850,000 Americans, to the seasonal flu.
Justice Gorsuch told the Court the flu kills “hundreds, thousands of people every year.”
It’s clear Gorsuch does not understand how highly transmissible the coronavirus is, nor how deadly it is – not to even begin to mention long COVID, or that millions of Americans are ineligible for age or health reasons to get vaccinated against COVID.
Social media users erupted in anger and frustration.
The Economist’s Supreme Court reporter Steven Mazie reveals Justice Goursuch actually laughed when the U.S. Solicitor General called the coronavirus pandemic “terrible.”
Gorsuch laughs when Prelogar says this is a terrible pandemic -- what about polio or the flu, he says??
— Steven Mazie (@stevenmazie) January 7, 2022
Unsurprisingly, as Slate’s Mark Joseph Stern points out, Gorsuch was the only justice at the Court unmasked.
Anyone surprised that Gorsuch is the lone justice who refused to wear a mask today? https://t.co/v1IdstWcZ6
— Mark Joseph Stern (@mjs_DC) January 7, 2022
So Justice Gorsuch just compared COVID-19 to the seasonal flu. He must be watching Breitbart and getting his news from other right-wing crackpots.
— A Worried Citizen (@ThePubliusUSA) January 7, 2022
- MSNBC host details 'weird baroque tradition' that allowed Trump ... ›
- This week's pivotal Supreme Court cases may finally reveal where ... ›
- Gorsuch cites anti-gay masterpiece cakeshop ruling in dissent over ... ›
- 'Gorsuch wants to do horrible things': Right-wing justices battle for ... ›
- Legal experts blast 'Jerk Gorsuch' for refusing to wear a mask — forcing Sotomayor to stay in chambers - Alternet.org ›
- Jefferson's 'wall of separation' between church in state is history. There are other ways to fight the Christian right's onslaught - Alternet.org ›
- Journalist stunned after Gorsuch authors one of the 'most eloquent statements exposing US colonialism' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Beyond shameful': Legal experts slam Neil Gorsuch, claiming 'flat-out, knowing lie' in SCOTUS ruling - Alternet.org ›