Marjorie Taylor Greene tries to defend Trump’s pro-vaccine stance— and gets right-wing backlash
Former President Donald Trump has been aggressively defending COVID-19 vaccines this month — first during an event with radio host Bill O’Reilly in Dallas, then during an interview with Candace Owens. Far-right Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, who is both an anti-vaxxer and a Trump devotee, tried to defend Trump’s position on Twitter this week. But anti-vaxxers weren’t backing down.
Greene posted that her “favorite president of all time” gave her “permission” to tweet about his position on vaccines, stressing that although Trump is pro-vaccine, he opposes vaccine mandates.
2. I have President Trump\u2019s permission to tell you all that he is 100% AGAINST the mandates, but he still encourages everyone to get the vaccine and booster.\n\nThat is his position.\n\nHe also said if he was President he would never mandate the vaccines, and no one would be fired.— Marjorie Taylor Greene \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8 (@Marjorie Taylor Greene \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8) 1640640206
But far-right anti-vaxxers weren’t swayed a bit by Greene’s defense. As they saw it, Trump had crossed over the dark side by defending vaccines. And they weren't about to let facts or logic get in the way of conspiracy theories.
Here’s what some of them had to say:
It is not a virus. It is a bioweapon. I am finished with Chump45. I will not support him. God removed him from office forever.https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1475578088146702337\u00a0\u2026— Locusts&Honey (@Locusts&Honey) 1640658994
He can say whatever he wants but I no longer support him.https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1475578090025676800\u00a0\u2026— Queen Harley (@Queen Harley) 1640645598
Ask Trump about all the vax injuries and deaths. If he says there aren't any he's lying. 34,615 people are now permanently disabled after taking the mRNA shots. Source: Vaers \nMe: Former Trump supporter but I'm not blinded by his bullshit.https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1475578090025676800\u00a0\u2026— Barry Ripley (@Barry Ripley) 1640645503
Did y\u2019all discuss your investment in big pharma or his inability to know the vaccine is poison and speak out against it?https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1475578088146702337\u00a0\u2026— jcephus84 (@jcephus84) 1640667601
He can have his opinion, but so can we. Tell him we\u2019re moving on from him the next time you talk please.https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1475578090025676800\u00a0\u2026— Erica4ou (@Erica4ou) 1640666658
Carrying water. Not good enough, President Trump.https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1475578088146702337\u00a0\u2026— Grosenbacher Farm & Ranch (@Grosenbacher Farm & Ranch) 1640686718
And still not a word about vaxxxine passports. \n\nThis is NOT an oversight.\n\nTrump is "anti-mandate/pro-passport."\n\nCount. On. It.\n\nThere is a reason he strictly avoids even mentioning vaxxx passports.\n\nNice compromise w/ Big Pharma, guys.\n\n@realLizUSA @DonaldJTrumpJr @DanScavinohttps://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1475578090025676800\u00a0\u2026— Rosie's Omicron Dance Party (@Rosie's Omicron Dance Party) 1640656193
- Trump gets booed by his own fans for encouraging COVID vaccine ... ›
- Trump's 'aggressive' pro-vaccine message is a calculated effort to ... ›
- Candace Owens gets mocked after Trump humiliates her with facts ... ›
- 'Gutless': Trump makes a thinly veiled attack on DeSantis — and one reporter says she knows why - Alternet.org ›