Trump's 2024 campaign is already an 'unfolding' constitutional crisis: historian
Historian Jon Meacham told CNN on Sunday that former President Donald Trump's anticipated 2024 campaign is already an "unfolding" constitutional crisis.
CNN host Fareed Zakaria asked Meacham about the prospect of Trump creating a constitutional crisis by refusing to accept defeat in 2024.
"He will run and in 2024, whatever happens, he will claim he won," Zakaria predicted. "Doesn't that present us with a constitutional crisis?"
"I think it's an unfolding one," Meacham agreed, noting that the word "crisis" comes from a Greek word representing "the moment in a disease where the patient either lives or dies."
"I think we're certainly there," he added, "which I didn't think before Jan. 6, honestly. I think we came as close to losing the Constitution -- and we say democracy and America is not a democracy. America is a republic so it's called American democracy. We came as close that day as we have since Fort Sumter."
Watch the video below from CNN.
Historian: Trump's 2024 campaign is already an 'unfolding' Constitutional crisis www.youtube.com
- Why the 'malicious destructiveness' of a second Trump presidency ... ›
- Bill Maher explains why he is so worried about 2024 - Alternet.org ›
- Leaked video catches Jim Jordan spox in a lie over claim GOP rep ... ›
- Georgia election officials thoroughly debunk Trump's lies about 50,000 'dead' voters - Alternet.org ›
- Election law expert lays out a game plan for combating the threat to American democracy - Alternet.org ›
- Legal expert makes case for Congress to bar Trump from running again if he’s not indicted - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Trump says he will be the '47th president' — is he skirting federal campaign finance law? - Alternet.org ›
- ‘No pain, no gain’ — Even Susan Collins is afraid to ‘excise’ Trump from the GOP: Conservative - Alternet.org ›
- These Republicans are unsuccessfully trying to prevent a 2024 Trump campaign — without much luck so far - Alternet.org ›
- How Miami traffic stops pointed motorists in the direction of 'Trump 2024 merchandise' - Alternet.org ›
- Trump’s 'de facto' 2024 campaign already 'marked by corruption': political analyst - Alternet.org ›
- Political strategist explains how a corrupt Republican House majority could steal 2024’s election for Trump - Alternet.org ›
- How Trump tried to rewrite history during a conversation with a Princeton historian - Alternet.org ›