A 'nightmare scenario': Matt Gaetz faces criticism for disturbing 2022 GOP prediction
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) shared his prediction on the possibility of an extremist Republican majority taking over the House oversight committee and critics are disturbed by the lawmaker's words, HuffPost reports.
“We are going to take power after this next election and when we do, it’s not going to be the days of Paul Ryan and Trey Gowdy and no real oversight and no real subpoenas,” Gaetz said during a press conference as he insisted lawmakers like Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) and himself would be the new faces of the political party.
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) \u2014 still under investigation for federal sex crimes \u2014 lays out what House Oversight might look like under a Republican majority.\n\nTerrifying.pic.twitter.com/29PnbzbIJy— The Recount (@The Recount) 1638902006
Almost immediately after Gaetz made the remarks, Twitter users began weighing in with deep concerns about what extremist representation could mean for the political party.
One user wrote insisted that its “a nightmare scenario that should send us all screaming to the polls.”
A nightmare scenario that should send us all screaming to the polls.— A Dissident Is Here \ud83c\udf0a (@A Dissident Is Here \ud83c\udf0a) 1638913875
Another user wrote, "I thought I hated Paul Ryan, but Gaetz, Jordan, Greene, Boebert, and Gosar make Ryan look good by comparison."
I thought I hated Paul Ryan, but Gaetz, Jordan, Greene, Boebert, and Gosar make Ryan look good by comparison.— Willow Silverhawk (@Willow Silverhawk) 1638926031
If that's not the 2022 campaign ad for Democrats I don't know what is.https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1468303661923061762\u00a0\u2026— Josh Jordan (@Josh Jordan) 1638928372
Another pointed out, "you can't conduct oversight effectively without subpoena power, and they've significantly weakened that power," one user wrote.
You can't conduct oversight effectively without subpoena power, and they've significantly weakened that power.— Alec Rogers \u26be\u2696\ufe0f\ud83c\udf78 (@Alec Rogers \u26be\u2696\ufe0f\ud83c\udf78) 1638931124
Democrats have also been urged to use Gaetz’s unhinged remarks to their advantage.
"This is a powerful campaign ad for the Dems," one user wrote. "If they can't use this against the Republican then no point campaingning for the Dems."
This is a powerful campaign ad for the Dems, if they can't use this against the republican then no point campaingning for the Dems.— Kunle Ilesanmi (@Kunle Ilesanmi) 1638961761
- Here are 7 new bombshell details from the complex and unraveling ... ›
- Matt Gaetz can't currently practice law in Florida -- here's why ... ›
- Matt Gaetz claimed he was a victim of an 'extortion' plot — but new ... ›
- 'Get them ready now': Matt Gaetz and Steve Bannon discuss plan to take over government with 'shock troops' - Alternet.org ›
- WATCH: Matt Gaetz's extremist takeover remarks just backfired in a major way - Alternet.org ›
- 'Their sphincters will tighten': Matt Gaetz goes after the FBI: - Alternet.org ›
- These key political events will dominate headlines in 2022 - Alternet.org ›
- Jamie Raskin throws Jim Jordan's words from Benghazi back in his face as he dodges the Jan. 6 probe - Alternet.org ›
- 'Can't be good news': CNN analyst says Matt Gaetz should be worried about ex-girlfriend's testimony - Alternet.org ›