Watch: House Democrats erupt in applause after passing Biden’s Build Back Better bill
The House on Friday passed President Joe Biden's Build Back Better bill, which includes $1.2 trillion dollars to cover the cost of critical Democratic spending priorities.
Per USA Today:
"The roughly $2 trillion package of progressive priorities would provide free universal preschool for three- and four-year-olds, caps certain drug costs, boosts Pell grants for college tuition, expands family leave, and provides new hearing benefit for seniors. It would address climate change through billions in incentive programs while also spending money to electrify up to 165,000 U.S. Postal Service trucks and creating a Civilian Climate Corps. It also increases corporate taxes and beefs up IRS enforcement."
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) praised the passing of the bill as "historic, transformative and larger than anything we have ever done before."
Prior to lawmakers voting, Pelosi said, "We are building back better. If you're a parent, a senior, a child, a worker. If you're an American, this bill is for you."
applause house www.youtube.com
The vote comes just hours after House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy''s (R-Calif.) widely-mocked, hours-long filibuster to delay the vote.
- The Build Back Better plan must be only the first step toward real ... ›
- Manchin's excuse for fighting Build Back Better is full of holes ... ›
- 'Let's get it done': House moves to vote on Build Back Better Act after ... ›
- How the Build Back Better bill will help millions of Americans with hearing impairments - Alternet.org ›
- How the Build Back Better bill would save workers’ lives - Alternet.org ›
- An economist explains why the Democrats' spending plan doesn't pose a big risk of inflation - Alternet.org ›