Watch: Defense attorney attacks Ahmaud Arbery and his ‘long, dirty toenails’ in closing statement
The attorney for Greg McMichael, one of three white men on trial for the felony murder of Ahmaud Arbery, blamed the victim for his own murder.
Laura Hogue spared no effort to dehumanize Arbery, a 25-year old Black man who was jogging through her client's Georgia neighborhood, telling the jury he was no "innocent victim."
"Turning Ahmaud Arbery into a victim after the choices that he made, does not reflect the reality of what brought Ahmaud Arbery to Satilla Shores in his khaki shorts, with no socks, to cover his long, dirty toenails," Hogue said in open court, dramatically, as she paused between each of her last words, with Arbery's mother reportedly in the room.
During closing arguments on Monday, an attorney for Greg McMichael raised eyebrows by making a comment about #AhmaudArbery \u201cin his khaki shorts, with no socks, to cover his long dirty toenails.\u201d @LawCrimeNetworkpic.twitter.com/2ezGRpp2dN— Law&Crime Network (@Law&Crime Network) 1637610567
- Judge deals massive blow to defendants in Ahmaud Arbery case ... ›
- Al Sharpton fires back at the defense lawyer who didn't want 'any ... ›
- 'Don't want any more black pastors': Defense lawyer in Ahmaud ... ›
- 'What's wrong with you?' Attorney shames Arbery killers' lawyers for 'horrific' closing arguments - Alternet.org ›
- The conviction of Ahmaud Arbery’s killers is an important warning to racists that ‘lynching will be punished’ - Alternet.org ›