Marjorie Taylor Greene blasted for appearing to admit Jan. 6 was an insurrection 'to overthrow tyrants'
Many MAGA Republicans have been claiming that the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol Building wasn't an insurrection. But when far-right Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia appeared on Real America's Voice this week, she seemingly admitted that the January 6 rioters were insurrectionists.
"If you think about what our Declaration of Independence says," Greene told Real America's Voice, "it says to overthrow tyrants."
.@mtgreenee "Jan. 6 was just a riot...and if you think about what our Declaration of Independence says, it says to overthrow tyrants."pic.twitter.com/zXcPjDDC1n— The Republican Accountability Project (@The Republican Accountability Project) 1635262134
The peaceful transfer of presidential power is a long-time tradition in the United States, where presidents who were voted out of office — from Democrat Jimmy Carter in 1980 to Republican George H.W. Bush in 1992 — acknowledged that they lost, congratulated the winner and did what they could to help the incoming administration. But on January 6 a violent mob stormed the Capitol in the hopes of keeping then-President Donald Trump in the White House and stopping Congress from certifying now-President Joe Biden's Electoral College victory.
In response to Greene's comments, Never Trump conservative and Daily Beast columnist Matt Lewis tweeted:
Her words seem to confirm that this was, in fact, an insurrection.https://twitter.com/accountablegop/status/1453020823158239237\u00a0\u2026— Matt Lewis (@Matt Lewis) 1635263055
Here are some more responses to Greene's comments:
The tyrant to be overthrown in the Declaration of Independence was King George. It wasn't a "how to" guide for future traitors, and it SURE AS HELL didn't give these whackjobs the discretion to brand a president-elect a tyrant.— Ray Sharradh (@Ray Sharradh) 1635263709
Can she remind us again who was President on Jan 6th?\nWhat tyrant were they trying to overthrow?— From the Desk of Bizzle (@From the Desk of Bizzle) 1635264001
Insurrection: a violent uprising against an authority or government. \n\nRiot: a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd.\n\n@mtgreenee: January 6 was a violent attempt to overthrow \u201ctyrants\u201d (aka the US government) \n\nWho\u2019s gonna tell her?— the JFC (@the JFC) 1635265312
They don\u2019t think they did anything wrong, so they don\u2019t care *what* it\u2019s called. Their trials will be interesting.— Kate C. Scattergood (@Kate C. Scattergood) 1635263478
- 'Get the hell out of our great country': Marjorie Taylor Greene claims ... ›
- 'Stop this insanity': Marjorie Taylor Greene has a meltdown because ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene unleashes on AOC with a wild conspiracy ... ›
- Jan. 6 rally organizers used anonymous 'burner phones' to communicate with top Trump officials: report - Alternet.org ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene claims the jailing of Capitol riot defendants is a ‘witch hunt’ against Trump fans - Alternet.org ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene demeans Mitch McConnell over his support for raising the debt ceiling - Alternet.org ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene blasts masks for schoolkids because adults won't be wearing them at the Super Bowl - Alternet.org ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene falsely declares that 'you can’t see the video footage' of Capitol insurrection - Alternet.org ›