Intel expert warns domestic extremism is only getting worse: 'Every failed coup is just practice'
Right-wing media outlets like Fox News, Newsmax and Breitbart News have a long history of downplaying the terrorist threat posed by far-right White nationalists, white supremacists and militia groups — even after the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol Building. But media outlets like MSNBC have been giving the threat the attention that it merits, and when MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace recently featured Kristofer Goldsmith — CEO of the intelligence firm Spaverius — on her show, he warned that the problem is showing no signs of letting up.
Goldsmith told Wallace, a Never Trump conservative who served in the Bush Administration, "Every failed coup is just practice. What's, I think, most disturbing, to people now is that it's become out in the public."
The Oath Keepers, an extremist militia group, were among the insurrectionists who attacked the U.S. Capitol Building on January 6. And Goldsmith discussed their recruiting efforts during his MSNBC appearance.
Goldsmith warned, "The Oath Keepers are an organization that's primarily vying for not just military service members, veterans, but also, police. These are people who have a warped sense of patriotism, who believe that fighting against the government, against their fellow Americans is somehow patriotic…. What's disappointing to me is to see people using.gov and .mil e-mail addresses to sign up to be one of these members of an unlawful militia."
The Spaverius CEO went on to call out Fox News for downplaying the violence that occurred on January 6.
"Over on Fox News," Goldsmith told Wallace, "January 6 is no big deal. And that is the most popular channel on all military bases all over the world right now, because they use Nielsen ratings. They say, 'Oh well, Fox News is popular. So, we have to show it to the troops.'"
- Arrested 'Oath Keeper' was 'preparing for literal war': prosecutor ... ›
- Historian outlines a terrifying scenario that could happen if Trump ... ›
- The Oath Keepers gained 'hundreds' of members following the ... ›
- This Southern California sheriff was a 'dues-paying member' of the 'militant insurrectionist' Oath Keepers: report - Alternet.org ›
- Trump-driven extremism is seeping into every corner of the GOP's upcoming election cycle - Alternet.org ›
- Having a media background is a major plus with the far-right Oath Keepers militia: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'What wannabe totalitarian, fascist dictators do': Alarm over DeSantis move to form his own 'personal militia' - Alternet.org ›
- Feds release intel on how to best identify domestic terrorists - Alternet.org ›