How Trump continues to be a major thorn in Mitch McConnell’s side
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell — unlike outright Never Trumpers such as attorney George Conway, former GOP strategist Rick Wilson and Washington Post columnists George Will and Max Boot — doesn't go out of his way to criticize former President Donald Trump. Whatever he may or may not be saying behind closed doors, the Kentucky Republican generally keeps his thoughts about Trump to himself. But there is obviously no love lost between Trump and McConnell, and an article by journalist Eric Lutz for Vanity Fair Lutz describes some ways in which Trump continues to be a major thorn in McConnell's side.
During an October 7 appearance on Fox News, Trump criticized McConnell's handling of the United States' debt ceiling and told Sean Hannity, "The Republican Senate needs new leaders. Mitch is not the guy. Not the right guy. He's not doing the job."
Lutz stresses that Trump's criticism of McConnell isn't really policy-related but rather, reflects the fact that Trump holds a grudge against him for criticizing him after the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol Building.
"Trump's frustration with McConnell almost certainly has less to do with the debt ceiling and more to do with the criticism he faced from the senator after the January 6 insurrection," Lutz explains. "McConnell didn't go to bat for him in his second impeachment trial earlier this year and rebuked him in a floor speech, and Trump has been trying to oust him ever since."
One thing Trump won't be able to do in 2022 or 2024 is threaten McConnell with a GOP primary challenge. McConnell was reelected to the U.S. Senate in 2020, defeating Democratic opponent Amy McGrath in Kentucky — and he won't be up for reelection again until 2026. Trump, however, can run around telling his devotees that McConnell shouldn't be Senate minority leader.
"But McConnell is also a bizarre target for Trump's rage," Lutz observes. "He wound up voting against impeachment, and he did more to advance Trump's despicable agenda during his presidency than just about anybody. Trump, though, is a sucker for appearances, and the idea that McConnell would take even a performative stand against him or make a strategic concession to Democrats is too much for him to process."
- There is 'little appetite for' Trump's plan to oust McConnell from his ... ›
- Trump was enraged after McConnell admitted he lost the ... ›
- McConnell pushed Trump to pick Amy Coney Barrett the night of ... ›
- 'Crime of the Century': Trump rages at Biden for rejecting request to withhold White House info - Alternet.org ›
- 'Lots of party infighting' as GOP senators turn on Mitch McConnell: report - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell is the 'loneliest man in Washington' as another ally casts him aside for Trump: CNN - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell backs GOP candidate who called for 'total cleansing' and allegedly threatened to blow his wife’s 'brains out' - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell’s daughter tweeted about the need to pass the Voting Rights Act - Alternet.org ›
- How Trump is trampling on McConnell's efforts to win back the Senate - Alternet.org ›
- Trump is tying Mitch McConnell's hands as Senate GOP leader scrambles to find candidates: report - Alternet.org ›
- GOP offers taste of 2022 attack ads if Democrats approve tax cut for millionaires - Alternet.org ›
- Here’s how Mitch McConnell outsmarted Trump — even though it created a major rift in the GOP - Alternet.org ›
- Columnist reveals why Mitch McConnell's plea to the Supreme Court betrays his own supposed principles - Alternet.org ›
- 'It's a trap': Advocates warn against McConnell-backed election reform gambit - Alternet.org ›
- Here’s how Mitch McConnell could take control of the Senate before the midterm elections - Alternet.org ›
- The far right is trying to oust Ohio’s conservative governor for not being MAGA enough - Alternet.org ›
- In the 'danger zone': Legal experts shed light on unique law that could block Trump from returning to the White House - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell 'desperately' working to crush 'unelectable goofballs' championed by Trump: report - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsey Graham 'literally laughed off' Trump effort to fulfill vendetta against Mitch McConnell: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Lonely voices': Mitch McConnell rips Marjorie Taylor Greene and 'Putin wing of the Republican Party' - Alternet.org ›