'A rolling coup': Mehdi Hasan warns Republicans 'will not certify' a Dem victory in 2024 if they retake Congress
Donald Trump is the first ex-president in U.S. history who lost an election and falsely claims that he didn't — a lie that countless Republicans continue to promote. And MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan, during a sobering commentary on Sunday night, October 10, warned that if Trump is the GOP presidential nominee in 2024 and loses to the Democratic nominee, Republicans will not accept the election results if they are in control of Congress.
The progressive MSNBC host warned, "Nine months after the storming of the United States Capitol, the attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election is still underway. We are in the midst of a rolling coup. Almost every day, Republicans pass more voter suppression laws. They purge more and more election officials, and they entrench the Big Lie that the election was stolen."
"Mark my words: if Donald Trump is the 2024 presidential nominee, and the Republicans control the House of Representatives, they will not certify a Democratic victory in 2024."\n\n\n\nFrom my @MSNBC opening monologue tonight:pic.twitter.com/dgGwEY6vFg— Mehdi Hasan (@Mehdi Hasan) 1633912276
To illustrate his point, Hasan showed a clip of Trump speaking at a MAGA rally in Iowa on Saturday, October 9 and repeating his lie that the election was stolen from him in 2020. Hasan also showed a clip of House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, during an interview with Fox News' Chris Wallace, refusing to acknowledge that President Joe Biden won the election.
"It's the words of GOP Congressman Steve Scalise there that are the most chilling to me," Hasan warned. "He's carefully foreshadowing what the GOP position is likely to become come 2024 — not just election fraud, but making sure that Republican state legislatures will have the power to pick each slate of presidential electors. Never mind voters and their pesky, you know, vote in a democracy. The Republicans want to unilaterally decide who runs the country. It's all about election subversion now. Mark my words: if Donald Trump is the 2024 presidential nominee and the Republicans control the House of Representatives, they will not certify a Democratic victory in 2024."
- This election law expert is 'scared' Trump's plan for a 'coup' next time ... ›
- 'Planning to foment a coup': Legal experts say new evidence shows ... ›
- Trump's 'slow-motion coup' is 'right out of the authoritarian playbook ... ›
- CNN fact-checker explains why Steve Scalise’s 'legalistic evasion' on 2020 is 'dangerous' to democracy - Alternet.org ›
- GOP is planning a 'coup' for 2024 — and Democrats aren’t doing enough to prevent a 'constitutional crisis': reporter - Alternet.org ›
- 'Our growing, authoritarian nightmare': MSNBC host sounds the alarm about the right's 'book-burning stage' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Democracy itself will be on trial': Kentucky historians sound the alarm over GOP’s 'frightening' plans - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans are assaulting democracy even more now than when Trump was in office: constitutional scholar - Alternet.org ›
- Fact-checker destroys GOP lawmaker’s attempt to rewrite what transpired during Trump’s 'perfect call' to Ukraine - Alternet.org ›