'Hateful bigot': Rep. Lauren Boebert torched for offensive tweet about transgender government official
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) is facing blowback for her offensive tweet targeting Dr. Rachel Levine, the assistant health secretary who has been sworn in as the first four-star, transgender admiral of the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.
According to HuffPost, the conspiracy theory-pushing Republican lawmaker reacted to Levine's appointment with an image of Levine and a caption that read, "Welcome to woke medicine, America."
Welcome to woke medicine, America. https://t.co/OfKWX2GM90— Lauren Boebert (@Lauren Boebert) 1634690771.0
Almost immediately after making the offensive remark, Boebert — who has a history of making homophobic and transphobic remarks— received a litany of responses from Twitter critics who accused her of spewing hatred.
Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) defended Levine, highlighting her professional accolades. According to the Democratic lawmaker, Levine is "an accomplished pediatrician, a graduate of Harvard and Tulane, a former fellow at one of America's top teaching hospitals, a professor who created medical programs at Penn State to help young people, and PA's former Physician General."
Beyer added that Boebert, however, is "just a hateful bigot."
Dr. Levine is an accomplished pediatrician, a graduate of Harvard and Tulane, a former fellow at one of America's t… https://t.co/6gZ0iMYKKE— Rep. Don Beyer (@Rep. Don Beyer) 1634694183.0
One user highlighted the problem with Boebert's actions and her poor use of her platform.
"Imagine being so hateful that, while claiming to be a freedom-loving, Christian 'patriot,' you use your elected position to spew hatred toward someone who's achieved more than you can dare to dream," one user wrote. "IMO, that's the epitome of disgusting. What a disgrace you are to OUR country."
@laurenboebert Imagine being so hateful that, while claiming to be a freedom loving, Christian "patriot", you use y… https://t.co/TbIfFxAicY— Hellina Handbasket (aka ShmoopsyPooh) (@Hellina Handbasket (aka ShmoopsyPooh)) 1634691226.0
Another user wrote, "What is your point? That the most qualified, regardless of people's bigotry, will get the job. Yes. Welcome to woke medicine in America and it is beautiful."
@laurenboebert What is your point? That the most qualified, regardless of people’s bigotry, will get the job. Yes.… https://t.co/ENvXqNQmhW— Hello. Is it me you’re looking for (@Hello. Is it me you’re looking for) 1634695847.0
@laurenboebert The more woke the better! Admiral Rachel Levine is accomplished doctor. As the Assistant Secretary… https://t.co/zi7zG0HI4v— Cynical Dreamer (@Cynical Dreamer) 1634695643.0
@laurenboebert Highly qualified people holding positions of responsibility in government once again? Yeah, I would… https://t.co/LczL5oq3Ri— Nick Lloyd (@Nick Lloyd) 1634694572.0
- Lauren Boebert's attempt at damage control falls flat after 'impeach ... ›
- Lauren Boebert paid rent and utilities with campaign funds: FEC ... ›
- Rep. Lauren Boebert gets ridiculed for embarrassing typo in call to ... ›
- Lauren Boebert's QAnon pal is running for local office — but isn't legally eligible - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Jimmy Kimmel torches Lauren Boebert with epic mocking stunt - Alternet.org ›
- Ilhan Omar fact-checks 'buffoon' Lauren Boebert — and calls her out for promoting 'anti-Muslim bigotry' - Alternet.org ›
- Lauren Boebert apologizes for comparing Ilhan Omar to a suicide bomber in bigoted rant - Alternet.org ›
- Ocasio-Cortez says Lauren Boebert has put her colleagues in danger — and warns ‘she could do so again’ - Alternet.org ›
- Governing is not the top priority for Lauren Boebert and other MAGA Republicans — 'trolling' is: columnist - Alternet.org ›
- How 'wacko' conspiracy extremists are driving the 'radicalization' of the Republican Party: conservatives - Alternet.org ›
- GOP candidate complaining she wasn’t allowed to 'have kids laugh at' transgender students in viral video draws rebuke - Alternet.org ›