'My jaw dropped': Lawyer who investigated Trump University stunned by this detail in Weisselberg indictment
The New Yorker this week highlighted a little-noticed detail in the indictment of longtime Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg that some legal experts say is a sign of potential trouble for former President Donald Trump.
According to prosecutors, Weisselberg is being accused of making changes to a document that's described as "Donald J. Trump's Detail General Ledger" to cover up details of how much compensation he was awarded as Trump Organization CFO that were not properly reported to the IRS.
The fact that Weisselberg seemingly kept a separate ledger that was for Trump's eyes only, writes the New Yorker, might make it much harder for him to deny that he was aware of Weisselberg's allegedly fraudulent activities.
"My jaw literally dropped when I saw that," Tristan Snell, a former New York assistant attorney general who investigated fraud committed by Trump University, tells the New Yorker. "If there was a ledger for him, it blows up the notion that Trump didn't know about it -- it means there was a set of numbers prepared for Donald Trump."
Snell also says that prosecutors are trying to send Trump a message by including that detail in the indictment that "we have your ledger."
- 'Strong reason to believe' more indictments could be coming Trump ... ›
- A huge 'paper trail' gives Manhattan DA's office a major advantage ... ›
- 'A scheme to defraud': Legal experts say massive indictment of the ... ›
- Weisselberg out in Scotland: First indication that indictment affects ... ›
- Watch: Rachel Maddow reveals Trump's lawyers have quietly met with Georgia prosecutors amid ongoing election investigation - Alternet.org ›
- New filing unveils startling details of possible fraud by the Trump Organization - Alternet.org ›
- Allen Weisselberg couldn't explain how the value of one $400M Trump property doubled in one year: report - Alternet.org ›
- Evidence exists to indict Trump for a '20-year felony': former US attorney - Alternet.org ›
- Trump lawyers throw Allen Weisselberg under the bus as he prepares to spill the beans at trial - Alternet.org ›