Bob Woodward’s new book paints a damning picture of Josh Hawley’s ‘big role in the Big Lie’: Missouri newspaper
Bob Woodward and Robert Costa's new book, "Peril" takes a disturbing look at former President Donald Trump's final weeks in the White House. And according to the Kansas City Star's editorial board, the book paints an especially damning picture of one of Trump's worst enablers during that chaotic lame duck period: Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri. Hawley's refusal to accept the democratic results of the 2020 presidential election and his role in the January 6 insurrection are the focus of a scathing Star editorial published on September 29.
"Vice President Mike Pence, alas, had to be convinced not to end our democratic experiment," the Star's editorial board writes, "but he did come through in the end…. But you know who never caved to reality, or ever tried to protect the republic instead of his Republican self? Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley, that's who. Yes, we knew that, but 'Peril' reminds any who might have forgotten that in putting his ambition ahead of all else, Hawley was a standout both before and during the attempted coup."
In "Peril," Woodward — who is famous for his reporting on Watergate with Washington Post colleague Carl Bernstein during the 1970s — and Costa write, "The risk became real when Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, a Yale-law educated freshman and former Supreme Court law clerk for Chief Justice John Roberts, announced on December 30 that he would object to the Electoral College certification on January 6, becoming the first senator to do so."
After the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol Building, Woodward and Costa note in their book, many senators "blamed" Hawley "for instigating the riot by announcing his opposition to the certification a week earlier."
"Hawley played a big role in the Big Lie," the Star's editorial board writes. "And since so many Missourians love him for it, he may be the rare national Republican who hopes his constituents will read this book, and see how willing he was to distinguish himself."
- Fox News has been setting up a new 'Big Lie' in case the GOP loses ... ›
- Rudy Giuliani hatched Trump's 'big lie' on Election Night after ... ›
- 'It's a big lie': Chris Wallace challenges GOPer for refusing to say ... ›
- Damning supercut blows up Josh Hawley's attempt to downplay far-right violence against school officials - Alternet.org ›
- 'Official dogma of his party': Fact checker busts GOP for 'trying to paint Trump as a victim of the attempted coup' - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News reporter deletes tweet after being blasted for using Colin Powell’s death to promote vaccine disinformation - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley slammed for bizarre claim 'the left’s attempt to give us a world beyond men' - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley claims a man isn't really 'a man' if they play video games and aren't married with children - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley thinks he can make telling his base to stop watching porn a major political campaign - Alternet.org ›
- 'Jan. 6 wasn't a fantasy': Top Missouri paper says it's 'long past time' for senate to investigate Josh Hawley - Alternet.org ›
- 'A dangerous fascist': Critics blast Josh Hawley on the anniversary of his Fox News insurrection threat - Alternet.org ›
- Watergate reporter slams the GOP as the ‘party of sedition’ - Alternet.org ›
- Newly released MAGA e-mails underscore Trump’s brazen efforts to overturn Arizona election results: report - Alternet.org ›
- Wisconsin Democrat slams GOP congressman for 'seemingly assisting' fake electors after 2020 presidential race - Alternet.org ›
- Legendary reporter Carl Bernstein: 'The truth is not neutral' - Alternet.org ›
- St. Louis newspaper torches Sen. Josh Hawley with a brutal history lesson - Alternet.org ›
- Only 13 out of 143 US House candidates in Texas admit that Biden won: report - Alternet.org ›
- MAGA Republican urges Wisconsin to 'decertify' the 2020 election following sham investigation - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley refuses to halt sales of Capitol riot 'fist bump' mug: report - Alternet.org ›
- Josh Hawley's attempt to smear Ketanji Brown Jackson is blowing up in his face: columnist - Alternet.org ›
- 'Woodward and I have the docs': Robert Costa posts Jan. 6 WH call logs that spell big trouble for Trump and allies - Alternet.org ›
- 'Attention-grabbing. Do-nothing': Missouri attorney torches Josh Hawley for his pseudo concerns about abused children - Alternet.org ›
- Conservative maps out the psychology of how Trump’s voter fraud claims became integral to his supporters’ 'tribal' identity - Alternet.org ›
- How 'loyal servant' Mark Meadows played a 'pivotal' role in Trump’s attempted coup: report - Alternet.org ›
- Missouri AG’s office fined $12,000 for Sunshine Law violation under Josh Hawley - Alternet.org ›
- Jan. 6 committee pushes back against Mike Pence’s claim Congress has 'no right' to his testimony - Alternet.org ›