‘Genius’ Madison Cawthorn mocked for claiming the Constitution prohibits airlines from requiring vaccinations
U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn is once again being mocked, this time for yet again not understanding the very basics of American democracy.
On Thursday the Republican from North Carolina claimed it is "illegal" and unconstitutional for airlines to require passengers to be vaccinated, because "you actually have a constitutionally protected right to free, unrestricted travel within the United States."
That last part has a tiny shred of truth to it. Just not in the way Congressman Cawthorn thinks.
Constitutional scholar Madison Cawthorn says it would be illegal for airlines to require vaccines because, \u201cyou actually have a constitutionally protected right to free, unrestricted travel within the United States.\u201dpic.twitter.com/CgzrUy7wU0— Ron Filipkowski (@Ron Filipkowski) 1631826810
Anyone could take a minute to come up with arguments why his claim is false, including that anyone driving a car is required to have a driver's license and insurance, and wear a seat belt.
The freshman Congressman was quickly mocked:
Ya think the Founding Fathers signed up for Frequent Flyer miles?
— Lori Kramer (@lorikramer58) September 16, 2021
Little known fact: James Madison was the author of the Free Airline Travel Clause of the Constitution. Talk about foresight.https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1438612028063629325\u00a0\u2026— David Rothkopf (@David Rothkopf) 1631827633
I do remember reading that the Founding Father's said everyone should fly freely. I'm still unsure if they meant airlines should be free or we should all get high. Anyway, I'm sure a genius like Cawthorn will clear it up for me
— Becky-lou-lou 💉💉 (@ruatwitt) September 16, 2021
Next up from Cawthorn: why do airlines charge for seats because the Constitution guarantees free travel.
— REDACTED Human Scum/hand washer/mask wearer (@mrshellwinger) September 16, 2021
So airlines having been illegally charging "air fare" for decades? Thank God Cawthorn broke open this scandal!
— Nancy Rutman (@NRutman) September 16, 2021
Even if you have a constitutional right to fly on a privately owned & operated airline (you don't), that right is subject to reasonable regulation by both the private owner & a regulating govt agency. As long as the reg has a reasonable basis, it is valid.\nCawthorn is an idiot.— King Clip-on Tie (@King Clip-on Tie) 1631828193
- 'Didn't even scan the CliffsNotes': Madison Cawthorn mocked over ... ›
- Madison Cawthorn: 'I think we should indict Jill Biden' - Alternet.org ›
- Democrat says GOP lawmaker Madison Cawthorn brought weapon ... ›
- Madison Cawthorn crashes school board mask mandate meeting to ... ›
- 'Christian Taliban leader' Madison Cawthorn accused of calling for 'holy war' against Democrats - Alternet.org ›
- MAGA moms meet Madison Cawthorn's challenge: Why right-wing women raise their sons as 'monsters' - Alternet.org ›
- This 232-year-old power has never been used by Congress — but it could save the republic - Alternet.org ›
- Madison Cawthorn retains high-powered GOP attorney for case seeking to disqualify him as an insurrectionist - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Evangelical Christians try to spread the gospel with on-board airplane cabin-wide singing - Alternet.org ›
- Thom Tillis slams Madison Cawthorn for attacking his infrastructure bill but touting its benefits - Alternet.org ›