‘All about controlling women’: Gov. Abbott slammed over tweet promoting near-total abortion ban
At the stroke of midnight on Wednesday Texas became the first state since the Supreme Court ruled in 1973's Roe v. Wade that women have a constitutional right to abortion, to effectively take that right away. Wednesday afternoon Governor Greg Abbott, who earlier had celebrated his signing that ban into law with an event in his office, once again celebrated, by posting a tweet declaring that "Texas will always defend the right to life."
Critics immediately explained why that's false, while others vented their anger and desperation.
- Texas abortion law that bans procedure as early as six weeks set to ... ›
- Roe v. Wade in grave danger as Supreme Court lets Texas abortion ... ›
- 'Parade of horribles': Abbott slammed for calling lawmakers back to ... ›
- Abortion rights advocacy groups file lawsuit against controversial ... ›
- Women slam Gov. Abbott for not 'knowing how women's bodies work' after making false 6-week abortion claim - Alternet.org ›
- Playing dumb: The cruel lies of Gov. Abbott about abortion are much worse than ignorance - Alternet.org ›