Biden had the perfect response to GOP governors calling vaccine mandates 'tyranny'
The fact that COVID-19 is surging in the United States once again and has killed more than 4.6 million people worldwide (according to Johns Hopkins University figures) hasn't stopped Republicans from trying to score political points by railing against President Joe Biden's new vaccine mandate, which requires employees of the federal government, medical workers and larger companies to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves, "Hillbilly Elegy" author J.D. Vance and hosts at Fox News (which has its own vaccine requirement) are among the Republicans who have been slamming Biden's mandate as authoritarian. But Biden isn't backing down, and he vigorously defended the mandate during a speech this week — calling out his GOP critics and stressing that his priority is saving American lives.
Biden on COVID mitigation efforts: "We're facing a lot of pushback, especially from some of the Republican governor… https://t.co/cx8rtKE7oq— The Recount (@The Recount) 1631816185.0
Republicans have been attacking Biden's vaccine mandate as anti-business, but Biden stressed that getting more Americans vaccinated will, in fact, be great for U.S. businesses.
The president noted, "Wall Street firms have analyzed the impact of these plans, and they're projecting these new requirements will help 12 million more Americans get vaccinated — which will help more businesses stay open and more Americans get back to work," Biden noted. "The data shows that an overwhelming majority of Americans agree with my proposal; that's no surprise, given that 76% of American adults have already gotten at least one shot."
- Very few Americans oppose a vaccine mandate – including many ... ›
- A conservative denounces the GOP's reaction to Biden's vaccine ... ›
- Gov. Abbott takes aggressive step to close a loophole in his vaccine ... ›
- School staffer wears blackface in 'Rosa Parks' protest against vaccine mandates - Alternet.org ›
- Republican mayor of Tennessee county vows to defy Biden’s vaccine mandate despite high 'COVID-19 rates' - Alternet.org ›
- Flashback: Republicans who suddenly discovered ‘freedom’ in response to Biden’s vaccine mandate were painfully ‘authoritarian’ after 9/11 - Alternet.org ›
- 'A huge gamble': Here’s the 'narrow path' Utah Republicans hope will help them dodge Biden’s vaccine mandate - Alternet.org ›