Texas judge shares brutally honest details about the grim COVID situation unfolding for kids in hospitals across the state
One Texas judge is sharing brutally honest details about the grim situation unfolding among children with COVID in the Lone Star state.
Speaking at a news conference in Dallas, Texas, Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins revealed: "In Dallas, we have zero ICU beds left for children."
Jenkins went on to share an example of the worst-case scenario many worried parents are currently faced with as their ill children fight for their lives while hospitalized.
He added, That means if your child's in a car wreck, if your child has a congenital heart defect or something and needs an ICU bed, or more likely if they have COVID and need an ICU bed, we don't have one."
"Your child will wait for another child to die," he said bluntly.
"Your child will just not get on the ventilator, your child will be CareFlighted to Temple or Oklahoma City or wherever we can find them a bed," Jenkins added. "But they won't be getting one here unless one clears."
“We have 0 ICU beds left for children ... Your child will wait for another child to die.” — Dallas County Judge Cl… https://t.co/WKCgKZ9KwT— The Recount (@The Recount) 1628874608.0
According to information reported to @NCTTRAC, there are 17 adult ICU beds available in Dallas County as of 8/13/2021.— Clay Jenkins (@Clay Jenkins) 1628900628.0
While frontlines workers are making an arduous effort to treat children with severe cases of COVID, the state's hospital systems are overwhelmed as many have reached intensive care unit (ICUs) capacity.
According to Huffpost, more than 11,200 COVID patients are hospitalized across the state of Texas. Due to the COVID resurgence and rapid spread of the Delta variant, many ill patients are also forced to ensure their health scares alone as family members are typically alone.
Where ICU capacity is concerned, the publication reports:
"Statewide, there are only 323 ICU beds available — as the number of people requiring hospital treatment spikes, fueled by the spread of the more contagious delta variant and the plateauing of the vaccination rate. The vast majority of people now being hospitalized with COVID-19 have not received the vaccine."
Like multiple other states, Texas is reaching its tipping point. However, these types of alarming health crisis are only being made worse by Republican lawmakers. Texas Gov. Greg Abbot (R) is facing deep criticism over the COVID response in his state, namely his ban on local government mask mandates.
- 'Angry and ashamed': Frustrated Florida doctors slam GOP ... ›
- The GOP's death cult comes for the kids - Alternet.org ›
- Texas doctor sounds alarm on rising COVID cases among children ... ›
- Louisiana and Mississippi health systems on brink of collapse as low-vaccinated regions suffer - Alternet.org ›
- Why do Republicans want children to die? - Alternet.org ›
- Desperate Texas doctors turn to antibody treatments to slow down surging COVID-19 hospitalizations - Alternet.org ›
- 'Unprecedented': Idaho rations hospital care due to 'massive increase' in COVID patients - Alternet.org ›
- Report reveals new cases of Covid in children have reached their highest rate ever - Alternet.org ›
- 'Exponential' increase: More than a quarter million children contracted COVID just last week - Alternet.org ›
- 'Wait times can now be measured in days': How non-COVID patients are paying the price for the Delta surge - Alternet.org ›