Damning video shows Mike Pompeo flatly contradicting himself on Afghanistan: 'No, I'm not defensive'
With the Taliban now in control of Afghanistan, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is vehemently criticizing President Joe Biden for withdrawing U.S. troops from that country — neglecting to mention that Biden was essentially following the plan that Pompeo and former President Donald Trump came up with in 2020. MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan, in response, has posted a video showing how badly Pompeo is now contradicting what he had to say about Afghanistan and the Taliban last year.
Some right-wing Republicans have at least been consistent in their views on Afghanistan. Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois and former National Security John Bolton have been slamming the Trump/Pompeo plan for withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan as badly flawed and saying that Biden and his advisers were wrong to go along with it. But Pompeo, as Hasan's video demonstrates, is now contradicting much of what he had to say in 2020.
Courtesy of the @MehdiHasanShow... Mike Pompeo, then and now: https://t.co/W3bED3wtZn— Mehdi Hasan (@Mehdi Hasan) 1630072844.0
The video shows Pompeo, in 2020, praising "the senior Taliban leadership" for "working diligently to reduce violence," followed by the Pompeo of 2021 saying of the Taliban, "These are butchers…. These are evil people" and telling Fox News' Chris Wallace, "We never trusted the Taliban."
Pompeo is seen in 2020 saying with confidence, "There are a series of commitments the Taliban have made. We have every expectation they will follow through on them." And Pompeo, in 2020, expressed confidence that the Taliban would "break" their "relationship" with al-Qaeda and "work alongside" the United States "to destroy, deny resources to and have al-Qaeda depart from that place." But in a 2021 clip included in Hasan's video, Pompeo complains, "We have allowed al-Qaeda to run free and wild all around Afghanistan."
The video ends on a mocking note with a clip of Pompeo angrily saying, "No, I'm not defensive at all."
Here are some responses to Hasan's video:
@mehdirhasan @MehdiHasanShow These people have no shame. But all of Washington shares responsibility. Pompeo was… https://t.co/w27XS560Hd— Shahid Buttar for Congress (@Shahid Buttar for Congress) 1630082974.0
@mehdirhasan @MehdiHasanShow @mikepompeo - the hyporcite then and the hypocrite now!— Azhar (@Azhar) 1630081526.0
@mehdirhasan @MehdiHasanShow Don’t you just love the power of video! The ability to make a person look like a HABIT… https://t.co/7JQjzJRL4E— Nicole Nikki (@Nicole Nikki) 1630084096.0
- UK defense minister blames Trump's 'peace plan' for Taliban ... ›
- Mike Pompeo claims Biden alone is responsible for the Afghanistan ... ›
- Mike Pompeo blames the 'fall of Afghanistan' on critical race theory ... ›
- Chris Hedges: Americans dug their own graveyard in Afghanistan — like the Brits and Soviets before them - Alternet.org ›
- Former Reagan assistant: Thousands of Americans ‘died in vain’ in the ‘needless’ Afghan War - Alternet.org ›
- Fact-checker debunks Trump’s bogus claim that the Taliban seized '$83 million' in US weapons - Alternet.org ›
- 'Plain false': Fact-checker thoroughly debunks Joni Ernst live on-air over lie about Biden and Afghanistan War vets - Alternet.org ›
- Newly unredacted documents reveal a litany of allegations from Mike Pompeo’s time at the State Department - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Cut him off now!’: Newsmax host totally loses it when a veteran criticizes Trump’s Afghanistan policy - Alternet.org ›