Jen Psaki hits back at Peter Doocy question on evictions: 'Happy to have you as a partner in this effort'
As Democratic members of Congress and President Joe Biden are working to extend the eviction moratorium enacted to help Americans during the coronavirus pandemic, Fox News' Peter Doocy went to bat, too – for landlords.
"There's been a major push here recently to protect tenants from being evicted right now, why isn't more being done to help the landlords who are struggling to pay their bills because they're not being paid?" Doocy, apparently ignorant that there are federal funds to compensate landlords for lost rental income, asked White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki.
"Well actually the landlords can benefit from exactly the same emergency rental assistance that renters can benefit from," she replied.
"Right now, as we understand it, many states are not distributing that money," Doocy said. "The Washington Post says that this measure could drive thousands of minor landlords to bankruptcy."
"Well that's exactly why," Psaki explained, "and I'm happy to have you as a partner in this effort, we are trying to advocate for states, localities to get this money out. There's no reason it's not going out to landlords, to renters, no reason that people who are eligible are not benefiting, and we've seen a number of states – red states and blue states – do this very effectively. Texas, as an example I used yesterday, Virginia is one I highlighted today. This is why we're doing as much of this outreach and engagement as we're doing."
Doocy: Why isn\u2019t more being done to help the landlords\u2026.pic.twitter.com/CcLRmaowus— Acyn (@Acyn) 1628097209
- Jen Psaki torches Fox News' Peter Doocy: Trying to 'disprove a ... ›
- Jen Psaki perfectly mocks Fox News' Peter Doocy for attacking ... ›
- Jen Psaki swats down Peter Doocy: 'We do something new here and ... ›
- Psaki claps back at Doocy over Biden's COVID response: Trump was 'suggesting people inject poison into their veins' - Alternet.org ›
- Jen Psaki calls Fox News' Peter Doocy 'irresponsible' for saying Americans are 'stranded' in Afghanistan - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Let me explain to you’: Jen Psaki clashes with Peter Doocy over the administration’s Afghanistan airlift - Alternet.org ›
- Americans slam 'six wealthy elites' after conservative Supreme Court justices block evictions moratorium - Alternet.org ›
- Jen Psaki schools a right-wing reporter asking about Biden’s Catholic faith and abortion - Alternet.org ›
- Jen Psaki fires back at GOP attacks on Gen. Milley by saying Trump was ‘fomenting an insurrection’ - Alternet.org ›
- Some landlords got a piece of Texas’ $2 billion in rent relief money — and evicted their struggling tenants anyway - Alternet.org ›