Here's why 'ethnonationalist cheerleader' Tucker Carlson is 'fawning over' this 'far-right authoritarian dystopia': Medhi Hasan
Jourrnalist Medhi Hasan is shedding light on Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán's fight to dismantle democracy — and slamming Fox News' Tucker Carlson for his support of the far-right regime.
On August 3, Orbán's regime in Hungary was featured on "The Medhi Hasan Show" where the host offered a timeline of his sordid political history and efforts to dismantle democracy in his country. With a history of authoritarianism, discrimination and cronyism, the Hungarian prime minister is often compared to former President Donald Trump.
Hasan noted that Orbán's recent response to losing re-election is echos Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 U.S. presidential election. After losing, Orbán claimed the vote had been rigged as he blamed the liberal media, demanding a recount despite no voting irregularities being found.
As a way to retaliate after the loss, Orbán also began to focus on mobilizing the right-wing media, which is why connecting to Carlson fits his political agenda.
Hungarian PM Viktor Orbán has taken control of the national media, discriminated against minorities and expanded cr… https://t.co/CzbbhghHTu— The Mehdi Hasan Show (@The Mehdi Hasan Show) 1628037657.0
The breakdown of Orbán's history follows Carlson's praise of him last month. In July, Carlson publicly commended Orbán for his anti-immigration policies in the wake of declining birth rates across the country.
"Instead of helping the native population to have more children, the Hungarian government, they say, should import a replacement population from the Third World," Carlson said at the time as he insisted "neoliberals" run the European Union. "That's the George Soros solution. But Hungary's prime minister, Viktor Orbán, has a different idea. Instead of abandoning Hungary's young people to the hard-edge libertarianism of Soros and the Clinton Foundation, Orbán has decided to affirmatively help Hungarian families grow."
- Noam Chomsky: The world is facing the most dangerous moment in ... ›
- 'How Democracies Die' author warns US faces perilous authoritarian ... ›
- Obama aide Ben Rhodes explains why he wasn't surprised by the ... ›
- 'An American Caesar': How the right wing is embracing dark ideas once considered 'unthinkable' - Alternet.org ›
- Why Tucker Carlson really went to Hungary - Alternet.org ›
- A neuroscientist explains how the far-right's most fanatical followers could lead America to societal collapse - Alternet.org ›
- GOP strategist thrashes Tucker Carlson for claiming to be a 'patriot' while kissing up to Hungarian autocrat - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans who 'praise' Hungary's Orbán are no better than leftists who promoted communist dictators: conservative - Alternet.org ›
- Princeton sociologist explains why MAGA Republicans adore Viktor Orbán's ‘strongman vision of politics’ - Alternet.org ›
- Tucker Carlson’s 'unpatriotic' Viktor Orbán fetish makes him an 'apostle of authoritarianism': conservative - Alternet.org ›
- How to get the authoritarian far-right to cave in a hurry - Alternet.org ›
- Hungarian conservative blasts Tucker Carlson for praising strongman Viktor Orbán: 'You’ve been had' - Alternet.org ›