'They thought it was a hoax': Doctor gives an emotional account of Covid patients who refused the vaccine
An Alabama doctor recently raised awareness about the dangers of not receiving the COVID vaccination as she detailed the stark difference between the symptoms of vaccinated and non-vaccinated patients she is caring for.
Dr. Brytney Cobia on Sunday, July 18, took to Facebook to share what she is witnessing at the Grandview Medical Center where she works in Birmingham, Ala., as AL.com reported.
Cobia delivered an emotional appeal to her followers as she offered an update about the demographical shift in the COVID patients she is now admitting.
"I'm admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections," wrote Cobia on Sunday. "One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late."
"Back in 2020 and early 2021, when the vaccine wasn't available, it was just tragedy after tragedy after tragedy," Cobia told AL.com this week. "You know, so many people that did all the right things, and yet still came in, and were critically ill and died."
"A few days later when I call time of death," Cobia continued on Facebook, adding, "I hug their family members and I tell them the best way to honor their loved one is to go get vaccinated and encourage everyone they know to do the same."
She went on to share some of the regrets her unvaccinated patients have shared while hospitalized battling COVID. According to Cobia, many of her patients have held different beliefs about the virus that appear to have derived from conspoiracy theories.
"They cry. And they tell me they didn't know. They thought it was a hoax. They thought it was political. They thought because they had a certain blood type or a certain skin color they wouldn't get as sick. They thought it was 'just the flu'. But they were wrong. And they wish they could go back. But they can't. So they thank me and they go get the vaccine. And I go back to my office, write their death note, and say a small prayer that this loss will save more lives."
- Leaked emails reveal a Trump official sought to 'muzzle' Dr. Fauci on ... ›
- Anatomy of a man-made disaster: Here are 370 ways Donald Trump ... ›
- Here are 5 under-vaccinated clusters putting entire US at risk from ... ›
- 'Angry and ashamed': Frustrated Florida doctors slam GOP governors for politicizing public health as COVID sweeps through state - Alternet.org ›
- Alabama has the worst vaccination rate. Cases are exploding. They just threw out 65,000 doses. - Alternet.org ›
- 'They’re on the backs of the people who took the vaccine': Miami doctor refuses to treat unvaccinated patients - Alternet.org ›
- Alabama man dies of heart complications after being turned away from 43 hospitals due to inundated ICUs - Alternet.org ›