Mehdi Hasan slams Kevin McCarthy's hypocrisy on GOP rep's fundraiser with 'hate-filled' Holocaust denier
Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives haven't been shy about attacking Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota whenever she says something critical of the Israeli government, but they typically look the other way whenever far-right Republicans such as Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona, Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado or Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia say something inflammatory. And MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan called out their hypocrisy during a scathing commentary on Sunday, June 27, noting that Gosar plans to host a fundraiser with a racist "Holocaust denier."
The Hill's Lexi Lonas has reported that Gosar will be co-hosting a fundraiser with Nick Fuentes, a white nationalist with a history of Holocaust denial.
"Congress needs to stop dragging its feet & take action [against Paul Gosar]. We've already normalized some pretty awful stuff in the Trump era. But are we really now going to shrug our shoulders over Holocaust denial?"\n\nMy monologue tonight on Paul Gosar:pic.twitter.com/EE16m6VYc9— Mehdi Hasan (@Mehdi Hasan) 1625018907
Hasan, whose MSNBC show airs on Sunday nights, said of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, "Where, oh where, is the condemnation of his own caucus member Paul Gosar? Why hasn't he been stripped of his committees like fellow extremist Marjorie Taylor Greene — oh wait, because he didn't do that either. House Democrats did. But at the same time, it's worth pointing out, Democrats aren't doing much about Paul Gosar either."
Hasan went on to note that "House Speaker Nancy Pelosi often gets pressured by the GOP to speak out against The Squad, but she hasn't said a word about Gosar today." The Squad is the alliance of four progressive female Democrats who were elected to the U.S. House in 2018 and reelected in 2020: Omar, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York City, Rep. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Rep. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts.
"Congress needs to stop dragging its feet and take action," Hasan told viewers. "We've already normalized some pretty awful stuff during the Trump era, but are we really now going to just shrug our shoulders over Holocaust denial — over palling around with people like that? Plus, we've already seen on January 6 what can happen when hate-filled conspiratorial rhetoric and brazen lies boil over."
- MSNBC host delivers a rapid-fire list of the evidence that has ... ›
- British journalist Mehdi Hasan slams Bill Maher for 'brazen ... ›
- Noam Chomsky tells Mehdi Hasan why he thinks the GOP is the ... ›
- Conservative slams far-right GOP congressman for holding a fundraiser with a 'vile racist and anti-Semite' - Alternet.org ›
- How the Minnesota GOP imploded: From a toxic workplace to a full-on sex trafficking scandal - Alternet.org ›
- Election deniers organize to seize control of the GOP — and reshape America’s elections - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy gets blowback over his handling of Rep. Gosar's violent video scandal: 'A weakling' - Alternet.org ›