Joe Manchin: 'This job's not worth it to me to sell my soul'
U.S. Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) Friday afternoon after failing to help get at least 10 Republicans to join with Democrats to not filibuster a vote on a bill to create a bipartisan commission to investigate the January 6 insurrection, expressed frustration.
Manchin, who steadfastly supports the Jim Crow era filibuster tactic, told reporters, "This job's not worth it to me to sell my soul."
Manchin's full remarks, which he made to Forbes' Andrew Solender about Republicans voting to block the January 6 insurrection commission bill:
"This job's not worth it to me to sell my soul. What are you gonna do, vote me out? That's not a bad option, I get to go home."
"If that's what they wish. But I'm sure not going to sell my soul when I know what's right. And this is right for us to start healing the country. You've got to get this commission."
Manchin, who has also announced he will not support HR1/S1, the "For the People Act" to protect voting rights, has positioned himself as something of a powerbroker, given his conservative voting record (Senator Lisa Murkowski, Republican of Alaska, is ranked more liberal than Manchin.) He absolutely has refused to allow the filibuster (which was designed to block civil rights legislation from passing during the past 99 years, and especially used during the late middle 20th century,) to be killed.
The Nation's Justice Correspondent Elie Mystal notes "if the filibuster didn't exist, the 1/6 commission would have gotten 10-15 Republican votes."
What’s funny is that if the filibuster didn’t exist, the 1/6 commission would have gotten 10-15 Republican votes.… https://t.co/q2lIbJ6W21— Elie Mystal (@Elie Mystal) 1622224088.0
Manchin did criticize his Republican colleagues after the vote failed 54-35:
"Choosing to put politics and political elections above the health of our Democracy is unconscionable. And the betrayal of the oath we each take is something they will have to live with."
- 'Jesus Christ!' Sen. Joe Manchin has an outburst when pressed on ... ›
- Joe Manchin sends a cryptic message about one of Democrats' top ... ›
- Joe Manchin is 'distressed' after the Jan. 6 commission is blocked by ... ›
- Mobile billboard in West Virginia urges Manchin to champion Dream Act passage - Alternet.org ›
- GOP billionaire governor personally on the hook for $700 million in loans after business failure: WSJ - Alternet.org ›
- Texas state rep: Joe Manchin needs to 'cowboy up' and fight for voting rights in a 'now-or-never moment' - Alternet.org ›
- Joe Manchin: Any infrastructure bill must be bipartisan only - Alternet.org ›
- Joe Manchin shows us why the tyranny of the Senate continues - Alternet.org ›
- 'Why I'll vote to preserve Jim Crow': Manchin panned over op-ed against For the People Act - Alternet.org ›