Tucker Carlson's revealing slip of the tongue stuns observers: 'Every day he becomes more and more explicit'
On Wednesday evening, Fox News host Tucker Carlson let slip a fleeting but surprising turn of phrase that promptly stunned many of his critics.
While discussing the treatment of a man charged as a part of the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, Carlson tried to draw a comparison to the case of Bree Newsome, a filmmaker and activist who tore down the Confederate battle flag at the South Carolina statehouse in 2015, leading to her arrest.
But when Carlson described the incident, he didn't describe her tearing down the "Confederate flag," but simply "the flag" — a phrase that in American English typically refers to the American flag.
It was noteworthy for at least two reasons. First, Carlson seemed to be downplaying the commendable political motivations behind Newsome's act of protest. And second, it seemed to suggest his sympathy for and alliance with the Confederacy.
This second point is even more salient when considering the fact that his broader point was a defense of the Capitol insurrection — an event he has consistently tried to downplay — which included a man wielding the flag of the Confederate traitors through the government building as the mob tried to stop the counting of presidential votes.
Many argued that Carlson was quite clearly showing where he stands: with the insurrectionists.
Every day he becomes more and more explicit. Every day. https://t.co/sVb5VkAvVz— Mehdi Hasan (@Mehdi Hasan) 1618456896
I don't even need to watch this clip to know that Tucker Carlson is referring to the Confederate flag. https://t.co/e5yC8K8Tsk— Miranda Yaver, PhD (@Miranda Yaver, PhD) 1618457742
tucker carlson refers to the confederate flag as "the flag" a day after waxing poetic about white nationalist repla… https://t.co/lrxeO3KK1Y— Gerry Doyle (@Gerry Doyle) 1618446620
Ain’t my flag, Tucker. https://t.co/oF3c8H33jI— David Corn (@David Corn) 1618456705
In which far far right wing @FoxNews @TuckerCarlson calls the Confederate symbol “the flag.” https://t.co/TPSWVtd6kx— Jerry Saltz (@Jerry Saltz) 1618456575
- How Fox News is now defending QAnon - Alternet.org ›
- These GOP reps want to make Donald Trump's birthday an official ... ›
- 'Traitor' Tucker Carlson gets slammed after referring to QAnon ... ›
- 'Tucker Carlson is right' RNC declares in fundraising email after Fox host promotes white supremacy - Alternet.org ›
- 'Nope, done': Tucker Carlson abruptly ends interview after former NYPD officer schools him on Derek Chauvin's culpability - Alternet.org ›
- Insurrectionist who waved Confederate flag in Capitol allowed to take family road trip before trial - Alternet.org ›